Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning Concerns

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2018 at 8:06 AM
  • 8 Replies
My goal was to wean ds#2 from bf when he turned 2. But he turns 2 next month and I’m worried it may not happen. Ds#2 is pretty attached to his milkies. Part of thinks it’s routine for him because he nurses when he gets up, before nap and before bed. He does not nurse to sleep.

But he has these times where he asks for milk. And he seems desperate about it. I have tried telling not now or distracting him. Sometimes it works. Other times not.

How do I prepare him for weaning? Should I wait?
by on Apr. 12, 2018 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
princessmara
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2018 at 8:10 AM
I would just wait. It looks like he is not ready. When DD was about 28 months she was nursing one night and when she finished she looked at me and said "I done with boobie" and that was it. I don't know what works for your family of course, but I believe in letting baby self wean.
ShawnsMom31
by Member on Apr. 12, 2018 at 9:10 AM

My son turned two in January and I figured I would try to stop soon too, even went on vacation for 8 days. As soon as I came back he was like I missed you Mommy, and pulled my shirt down. So I guess he's not ready yet either, my daughter was 3 when she stopped. Hopefully it wont be that long, lol.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2018 at 10:13 AM
Wait, and let him self-wean. As he becomes more and more established on solids, and develops more mentally and physically, he will naturally nurse less. There is nothing wrong with nursing longer, and it is beneficial in so many ways. They are only little for a short time. What you are already doing is the weaning process, which started when he had his first solid food. You are already setting limits. I wouldn't push for any more than that now.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2018 at 3:20 PM
My ds is 2.5 and still nurses 3x a day and he asks for it i give it if he asks but its up to you
Supportdmoms
by Member on Apr. 13, 2018 at 11:38 AM
If you are comfortable then let him self wean... If you are not u can start by gradually weaning starting the one just before bed time in night cz they are already full after dinner so might be easy for him to wean from that .... Good luck
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 13, 2018 at 8:21 PM
When I was weaning my youngest 2 kids, I weaned down the length of time they nursed at each session.
destiny3513
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2018 at 7:14 AM
My daughter is two next month, she'll stop when she's ready. My son breastfed until 3.5. If you're happy, let her self wean. I started having adversions with my son and nudged h8m along but I was also tandem. He seemed okay with stopping, it took a while though. I just told him how i felt. It hurts when you nurse, relatch please, mommy needs a break. It was a very slow wean.
mcmlxxxv
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2018 at 7:03 PM
Self-weaning is best, but I always hated nursing and got to a point where I just couldn't stand it anymore. I got DD down to 4 times a day and then just cut her off one day. Whenever she asked to nurse, I gave her a sippy cup of milk and cuddled her. She still cried, but eventually she would drink the cup. By the end of 2 weeks she had pretty much forgotten what breastfeeding even was. Don't get me wrong -- those 2 weeks were rough. But I think she would still be nursing now at almost 4 if I had left it up to her, and I would have gone completely insane!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)