Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

You're STILL nursing???

Posted by on May. 16, 2007 at 3:52 AM
  • 12 Replies
Hi. I'm new to the group, but I'm certainly not new to breastfeeding! I nursed my son until he was 2 1/2, as he decided one day he was done. My daughter, however, was born with a heart defect. She was diagnosed at 9 months, with open heart surgery scheduled for 6 months later. She became even more precious to me than before, and I had 6 months to worry, plan to spend 6 weeks in the hospital with her, make arrangements for my son with my husband and sister, and study all I could about heart surgery before her operation. I stopped seeing my friends and going out at all. I went to the intensive care pediatric cardiology wing of the hospital to see the babies that had had the surgery. All I could think about was her. I was scared to death. When we went in for her pre-hospitalization tests, including an echocardiogram, the doctor said, "This is not the same heart!" I swore up and down that I hadn't changed it. He asked me about her daily life, and I told him that she nursed constantly and I basically wore her like an accessory. She was happy and growing, albeit a little slower than normal. Her heart defect had shrunk in size by about half. He said that she is the first patient he had ever heard of that had a spontaneous closure of her defect and he was going to write a research paper on her for all of the medical journals. He immediately canceled the surgery. He atributed her healing to my mothering and nursing, as he could see no other reason for her to heal herself. At that moment I decided to nurse her for as long as she wanted and planned a trip to Disneyland! Instead of waking up at the hospital on the day her surgery was scheduled, we woke up at the Disneyland Hotel. I looked down into that little sweet face and burst into tears. When she was about 3 she had an incredible growth spurt, going from a size 3 to 5 in 3 months. I took her to the doctor and her heart defect had closed all the way. It truly was a miracle. She and I discussed stopping nursing on her 4th birthday. She would have nothing to do with it. We had the same discussion on her 5th birthday. She tried it for a day or two, but was miserable. On her 6th birthday I told her that I wanted to be done and she agreed. This may sound crazy to some people, but now she's 19 and 1,500 miles away in college. She remembers nursing and to this day will cuddle with me for hours in the nursing position. We built a bond between us that is so strong because of our years of holding each other while nursing. That bond will last the rest of our lives. I've posted a picture of her in on this group photo page entitled The Nursing Princess. I'd love to hear other stories of long-term nursing moms.
by on May. 16, 2007 at 3:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misssy2000
by on May. 16, 2007 at 3:59 AM
thats a beatiful story! I cant believe that people nurse for so long. I believe to eeach his own. My mil  nursed til five or six or something like that with her youngest! I dont think I could, I admire people that do, but I could not.
Becca030507
by on May. 16, 2007 at 4:03 AM

Unfortuantly I wasn't able to nurse my son (almost 2 in July) for very long due to my milk drying up due to stress which still to this day upsets me, i am due in Auguest and plan to nurse as long the baby as long as he wants too.  I just had to say what an amazing story you have about your little gir and the bond you sharel!!  Its amazing how the human body can heal itself and us as moms have a way of protecting our children!  God Bless you

kerbear84
by on May. 16, 2007 at 4:03 AM
that is a great story! It made me teary! she is very lucky to have a mother like you...
veronica_rdz
by on May. 16, 2007 at 4:20 AM

That is such a beautiful story.  And it just goes to show that the breast is the best! :)  I was only able to BF DD for about 6 weeks or so and then my milk just dried up suddenly.  Now with DS I've been doing it since the day he was born March 2nd.  I'm curious though, how did you keep your milk?  I worry that I'm going to dry up again with him and since he's probably my last I'd like to do it as long as possible.  Any advice you have I'd love to hear it!

doulala
by on May. 16, 2007 at 4:48 AM
I love that! Most people might not know that the worldwide average age of weaning is almost 4 years old. I think it's great. Supply and demand is the key. If people introduce pacifiers, bottles, formula, schedules, and don't nurse on demand, there can be a lot of problems. If you keep nursing-exclusively-on demand-(and staying hydrated and fed), breastfeeding should work. Learning to latch properly might be another obstacle. Even adopted babies are sometimes breastfed by their adoptive mothers. Stimulating lactation is not something that only your baby can do. I hope more and more mamas will do everything they can to stay with it for as long as they can! I have been breastfeeding daily for 4 years and almost 9 months (2 babies), including tandem nursing. It can be REALLY hard... but NOT nursing can be HARDER! Congratulations, Babushka! You are awesome!! ~luv to all!
drhedges
by on May. 16, 2007 at 6:59 AM
That is such a miracle of a story! 
scb2007
by on May. 16, 2007 at 7:05 AM

wow, what a wonderful story! thank you for sharing!

mom4alex
by on May. 16, 2007 at 9:27 AM
Wow!!  That's inspiring!! 

Did you know that Michael Jordan's mother nursed him until he was 3!  She attributes his skills to her nursing!  She may be right!

jessnoske
by on May. 16, 2007 at 10:22 AM
What a wonderful story. Olivia and I have been nursing great since she was born in October. I hope we can make it to two or longer.
Babushka
by on May. 16, 2007 at 12:40 PM
Thank you all for your sweet comments. My daughter started solid foods at the age of 1, and by 3 or so, we only nursed privately. It was never for very long, and certainly not for the nutritional aspects, but my milk supply lasted all 6 years. My favorite memory is the way we would gaze into each other's eyes, stroke each other's face, and how she would smile at me without breaking the suction on my breast. I have a picture of me sitting on my bed and her standing next to me nursing. Hilarious! To this day, though, she prefers all her beverages to be lukewarm instead of cold. I think I hold the record for nursing one child the longest, but my sister nursed all 3 of her children, one right after the other, and constantly for 11 years!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)