Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Do I need an Electric Pump?

Posted by on May. 16, 2007 at 4:09 PM
  • 17 Replies
I was just wondering if everyone has a pump. My daughter is 4 months old and I am a stay at home mom. So I did not really need a pump, I usually only leave her with my husband for short periods of time and she itn't that good at eating from a bottle. I did buy a hand helfd one and it does not seem to work very well. Today though one of my breasts seems not to be emptying  and I think I have a clogged duct. My daughter seems full and will not nurse anymore so I called the doctor and she told me to try pumping. I was just wondering if it is worth the $250 dollars. Any suggestions?
by on May. 16, 2007 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brwneyeddaisy1
by on May. 16, 2007 at 4:15 PM
Go on Ebay and get an Ameda Purely Yours.  It's a $200 pump that you can usually find for less than $100.  It's the only FDA approved pump for multiple users and from my personal experience is the best pump there is ( I don't have any to compare it to, but I was overjoyed by it). 
miasmommy21407
by on May. 16, 2007 at 4:16 PM
I am also a stay at home mom but I use my pump almost everyday because of engorgement. I also store the milk for emergencies. It does sound like you need a pump but before you spend the $250 call wic and see if you can barrow it one until you duct is no longer clogged. Be sure to check the reviews on the breast pump you plan to buy. When I checked Medela and Ameda got the best reviews. Playtex embrace, Playtex Embrace Petite, and The First Years by Learning Curve double electric pump recieved the worst reviews.
Renay77
by on May. 16, 2007 at 4:24 PM
You do not need to spend that much... You could purchase the Platex pump at Target for $100.00... It is  double electric pump and it works great for me (I work so I pump 2-3 times a day). You can also call your local LeLeche League and see if they can recomend a place to rent a pump.
kireiemiri
by on May. 16, 2007 at 4:26 PM
I got my Lansinoh pump from WalMart for 147.00. It's endorsed by the La Leche League and it's electric and dual. : D
MamaCalidad
by on May. 16, 2007 at 4:27 PM
No, you don't need a pump.  If you're wanting to pump just to leave some milk at home for an occasional short outing, the Avent Isis is great.  For the possible plugged duct, no pump would do as good a job as your baby will.  When she looks to be getting ready to nurse again, hop in and take a nice hot shower and massage the breast, then start her to nursing on that side first. 

Now, if your handheld isn't an Isis, you might invest in one of those.  They're less than $50 brand new...and I'd imagine you can find them used, too. 
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 16, 2007 at 5:55 PM
A $40 Avent Isis has all the power a SAHM needs for occasional pumping.
Jeannie84
by on May. 16, 2007 at 6:04 PM
I'm also a SAHM and have purchases the evenflo electric pump.  It got mixed reviews on the website, but was the cheapest electric one, and I heard hand helds weren't worth a dime.  I like it since I don't pump that much and am usually able to pump at least 3-4 ounces in 20 min.  It definitely depends on you and your breasts.  The only thing I would change is spending the extra $15 dollars and getting the double.  Its still under $100.  Also, the best time to pump is the morning.  Hope that helps.
Hayz71101
by on May. 16, 2007 at 6:10 PM
i went to a lactation consultant....for SAHM she recommends manual pumps for occasionally pumping like if you go out and a babysitter gives the baby a bottle or dad wants to feed the baby....etc the manual one she recommends is the Avent Isis.

she said electric pumps are usually for working moms...who need 2 keep their milk supply up.

but that doesnt mean you cant get one if you want. I think if you want an electric pump go for it...its your decision...i have the avent isis and i dont think ill use it since im exclusively breastfeeding...but i have it just incase.  its pretty much up 2 you.
EscobedobyzMom
by on May. 16, 2007 at 6:16 PM
IF you are just looking to unplug the duct you do not need a pump. While your baby is nursing slightly run your finger along the line and massage it, You can also lay your baby down on the couch and hang the breast over the baby and nurse that way and massage also. Thats what I have done and it goes away in a day. JUst make sure the breats hangs or drops so that there is nothing inhibiting the flow.
ALSO dont wear a bra too tight and dont wear them clasped when nursing. SOme women are busy and think its a quick way but more than likely you get a plugged duct and then mastitis.

Erika
aknjcp
by on May. 16, 2007 at 6:28 PM
I only need to pump for when I (or me and my hubby) want to go out... I also have an "emergency" milk stash. The handheld did not work well for me either, but I bought a Medela Swing (electric or battery) single pump for $140 and I love it. It works great and I know I can pump when needed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN