Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Do I need an Electric Pump?

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just wondering if everyone has a pump. My daughter is 4 months old and I am a stay at home mom. So I did not really need a pump, I usually only leave her with my husband for short periods of time and she itn't that good at eating from a bottle. I did buy a hand helfd one and it does not seem to work very well. Today though one of my breasts seems not to be emptying  and I think I have a clogged duct. My daughter seems full and will not nurse anymore so I called the doctor and she told me to try pumping. I was just wondering if it is worth the $250 dollars. Any suggestions?
by on May. 16, 2007 at 4:09 PM
Replies (11-17):
zacashemily
by on May. 16, 2007 at 6:51 PM
I had a electric pump, but I think it is a First Years. It works well. I did not use it much, but I had it just in case. So don't spend a fortune on one even if you plan to use the heck out of it.

As to the clogged duct, do you have a lump on your chest. That is what a clogged duct feels like. Also you will probably have a fever. If you do then try taking a shower and massaging it. If that doesn't work then call the doctor and they will prescribed some antibiotics. Don't let it fester or it will hurt.
Haute_Mama
by on May. 16, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Quoting miasmommy21407:

I am also a stay at home mom but I use my pump almost everyday because of engorgement. I also store the milk for emergencies. It does sound like you need a pump but before you spend the $250 call wic and see if you can barrow it one until you duct is no longer clogged. Be sure to check the reviews on the breast pump you plan to buy. When I checked Medela and Ameda got the best reviews. Playtex embrace, Playtex Embrace Petite, and The First Years by Learning Curve double electric pump recieved the worst reviews.
I thought WIC was no longer allowed to rent out pumps. I got a Medela Double Pump when I went back to work (that didnt last long)

I dunno give it a try.
Ilanasmom
by on May. 17, 2007 at 12:08 AM
Thanks for all your replies. I took a hot shower like everyone suggested and I could see the plug so I squeezed a little and it popped out. I feel much better now. I still am thinking of getting a pump so thanks for all the great advise!
MelissaE
by on May. 17, 2007 at 11:12 PM
An electric pump is the only way to come close to the sucking of a baby. For my first baby, I rented a hospital-grade pump for about $70 a month, but this time around I bought an Ameda Purely Yours. It has been great. I use it probably once or twice a week, and my baby's almost fourteen months old.
buttons664
by on May. 18, 2007 at 9:18 AM

Quoting brwneyeddaisy1:

Go on Ebay and get an Ameda Purely Yours. It's a $200 pump that you can usually find for less than $100. It's the only FDA approved pump for multiple users and from my personal experience is the best pump there is ( I don't have any to compare it to, but I was overjoyed by it).
I own a ameda purely yours pump and LOVE IT!  I spent 200.00 for it.....totally worth the cost!  And i know it is FDA apprived for mulitiple users but they suggest you replacing the Tubing!
serenaA
by on May. 18, 2007 at 9:38 AM
i would definately call WIC first. 

*hugs*
MasonsMommy1707
by on May. 18, 2007 at 9:52 AM
i have the medela pump in style advanced.  i love it!  i can pump 6oz in 10min. but everyone is different.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)