Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

New to group w/ a dilemna

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 1:50 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hello everyone. I just joined the group today. I have been exclusively breastfeeding my daughter who will be 8 months on March 17th. I never planned on breastfeeding this long because of my unsuccessful 1st attempt (bad, bad yeast infection) but am enjoying it more than I thought possible. My daughter is a total boobie baby. :)
Anyway, my question is this...I am going to be going back to work soon, I hope, and need to switch my daugther to a bottle (I plan to pump, at least at first) for day care. Right now, she won't take a bottle with anything in it, from anyone. I have tried three different types of nipples, two different types of bottles, three different sippy cups and even an actual glass. So far, she has only taken a few hesitant sips for a sippy cup and a glass. After she tries it, she will turn her head and refuse to drink anymore. With bottles, she'll turn her head as soon as she sees it coming! How on earth do I get her to take a bottle? I plan to nurse her in the morning & before bed still, even though she will get bottles during the day. HELP! I'm so lost!
Thanks in advance.
Laura
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 25, 2007 at 2:01 PM
Laura, if she'll take a sippy cup, then use that. No bottles needed at all.

If the day care won't use the sippy cup, then you may need to find another provider; it's an indication that they may not be interested in following any of your other wishes down the line. Giving an infant a sippy cup is absolutely no more difficult than giving a bottle.
caitandcarasmom
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 2:04 PM
Quoting gdiamante:

Laura, if she'll take a sippy cup, then use that. No bottles needed at all.

If the day care won't use the sippy cup, then you may need to find another provider; it's an indication that they may not be interested in following any of your other wishes down the line. Giving an infant a sippy cup is absolutely no more difficult than giving a bottle.

Well, she won't really take a sippy cup either, just a few times and after that, won't have anything to do with it. :S I should add that she won't take breastmilk from anything other than a breast...that's the biggest dilemna in this whole thing 'cause she needs the milk...
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 25, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Quoting caitandcarasmom:
Well, she won't really take a sippy cup either, just a few times and after that, won't have anything to do with it. :S I should add that she won't take breastmilk from anything other than a breast...that's the biggest dilemna in this whole thing 'cause she needs the milk...
Who's trying to give the milk? If it's you, that may be the whole problem. Let someone else do it when you're not around. Babies frequently refuse bottles from mom because they know mom has better on tap.

Also..check the temp of the milk. She might not be happy about that.

Now, here's the good news. Babies are governed by instinct, and instinct won't let them starve themselves. She'll eat when she's truly hungry. She *might* wind up waiting for you to come home and nurse like a fiend then; that's OK. It's called reverse cycling, is very common and not at all harmful to her.

LuvMyBabeez
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting caitandcarasmom:
Who's trying to give the milk? If it's you, that may be the whole problem. Let someone else do it when you're not around. Babies frequently refuse bottles from mom because they know mom has better on tap.

Also..check the temp of the milk. She might not be happy about that.

Now, here's the good news. Babies are governed by instinct, and instinct won't let them starve themselves. She'll eat when she's truly hungry. She *might* wind up waiting for you to come home and nurse like a fiend then; that's OK. It's called reverse cycling, is very common and not at all harmful to her.

Don't panic. Two of my five babies never took a bottle. Fifth baby is only 3 months old, so we'll see with him. My babies used a sippy cup that comes with a couple different tips, one of them like a bottle nipple and the other like a regular sippy thingie, but it's soft. I think Avent makes this. Not sure if they still make this cup, but I hope so. It was fabulous. Also, I agree that your baby won't allow herself to starve. Someone else giving the cup at least at first will help. That's what we had to do with my babies. They finally would take it from anyone, including me. Just please make sure you know your daycare provider well. Make sure they do background checks and you should do a background check on them as well. You can do this inexpensively online. I had a couple nightmares with a daycare and with a private sitter. After learning the hard way, I would never allow anyone to look after my children without a background check. I know it's tough to return to work after having a baby. I had to do it with my first one. It'll be okay.
caitandcarasmom
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 8:13 PM
Quoting LuvMyBabeez:

I'm not returning to work right now, thankfully, as I am still looking for employment. When I do go back, I will be looking for a state and nationally certified center like we had with my oldest. That way, it's a cinch to check up on them. My daughter's old center had cameras in every room and parents could log on and watch their kids throughout the day. I will be careful, believe me. My daughters are the most important people in my life, as I am a single mom.
mommy_dearest
by on Feb. 27, 2007 at 9:02 AM
My daughter didn't like the bottle at first.. then she got HUNGRY! Than she would try anything! I wouldn't get to worked up about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)