Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Soy Milk and Breastfeeding?

Posted by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:47 AM
  • 7 Replies
I know they say that breastfeeding is the best thing for my baby. Now he is on soy milk is it still ok to breastfeed? Everytime i BF him he cramps up and screams like he is in pain. So i haven't bf him at all yesterday and just bottle fed him and he seems fine so. i don't know what to do? I don't want to stop bf but then if it is hurting him then i want to stop. What should i DO??
by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Kir
by on May. 17, 2007 at 11:02 AM
It's just my opinion but I would try to stop the soy milk for now.  Burp him a lot until he gets it through his system.  I personally would NOT have wanted to stop breastfeeding.  Can you do it exclusively?  Good luck. 

Actually, another possibility is an over the counter bubble reducer for infants.  Look in the drug store and maybe try giving that to him before you nurse.
Lynette
by on May. 17, 2007 at 11:14 AM
lonestarmom
by on May. 17, 2007 at 11:17 AM
Are you giving him Soy formula in a bottle instead of BF? Or are you drinking soy milk?

My DS had all kinds of crampy gas problems at that age. I took all dairy (except butter) out of my diet and it helped a TON. Some of them have a hard time with cow's milk protein. I was careful to eliminate not just milk, cheese, and ice cream, but also things that had milk or powdered milk in them like pancakes, frosting, eggs made with milk, etc. We also gave him Mylacon before every feeding; we found that it only worked if he got it everytime he nursed. I even carried a bottle of it in the diaper bag so I could use it when we were out.

If you really want to BF, make it happen. It is truly the best thing for your baby. I know it is hard now, but it will get easier. Don't let your doc tell you that your baby is allergic to breatmilk. They can't be allergic to BM, but they can react to something that you're eating. Dairy is a common problem, but other things that can cause them issues include peanuts.

I noticed that you are in MO from your profile. I don't know how close you are to KC, but the Shawnee Mission Medical Center here in Overland Park, KAnsas has great free services. There's a Tuesday morning BF support group run by a lactation consultant, post-partum counseling, and a phone line that you can call for BF information. I don't have the WARM line number, but I think I can find it for you if you need to talk to a professional for FREE who will really support BF.

Good luck and hang in there. My guy is 10 months now and happily BF still, plus, now I eat all the cheese and milk I want! Contact me if you want any more info.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 17, 2007 at 12:27 PM
Soy milk or soy formula? There's a difference.

And I'd put the cramping up down to reaction ot something in your diet. Start with dairy elimination.
MommytoAbigail
by on May. 17, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Soy milk or soy formula? There's a difference.

Thats what I was thinking.  Your baby shouldn't be on milk yet.
drakesmommy403
by on May. 17, 2007 at 6:18 PM
I do give him mlyacon drops  everytime before feeding. The soy formlua is what i am giving him and it seems to be helping, but i am not BF. I am trying to stop eating things with dairy it in but it is so hard. I don't think it is dairy in my diet because there were days even weeks i wouldn't even eat or drink anything with dairy. But as of right he this soy formula is helping so.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 17, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Quoting drakesmommy403:

I do give him mlyacon drops  everytime before feeding. The soy formlua is what i am giving him and it seems to be helping, but i am not BF. I am trying to stop eating things with dairy it in but it is so hard. I don't think it is dairy in my diet because there were days even weeks i wouldn't even eat or drink anything with dairy. But as of right he this soy formula is helping so.

There's a lot of hidden dairy in foods. Check out drjaygordon.com for a list of hidden dairy. And be advised that it takes up to six weeks to clear all the dairy out of your system.

Might also be something other than dairy. Reaction ot overactive letdown, for one.

Gassiness in itself really isn't a huge problem; usually just requires mylicon after feeding (I found that before isn't too effective...use it when you need to treat instead).

You say you're not breastfeeding? Meaning you've weaned?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN