Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Period

Posted by on May. 17, 2007 at 11:11 AM
  • 7 Replies
Ok this might be tmi and kinda personal but I dont know who else to ask.

After my 6 week check up I was put on a pill, I had a little break through bleeding.  I tried to use a tampon, it felt fine at first then a few minutes later it felt really uncomfortable.  I went to take it out and it felt so dry and hurt so bad when it came out.  At the time it was still uncomfortable to have sex and I was kinda dry so I figured that was why.   Well the othe day I got my period back, I tried a tampon and the same thing happened.  I havent had dryness so I was surprised that it happened.  So I dont know if its because I had a baby or because I'm breastfeeding.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I really hate using pads and I'm scared I'll have to use them for the rest of my life.
by on May. 17, 2007 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
zacashemily
by on May. 17, 2007 at 11:15 AM
You won't have to use pads the rest of your life, but vaginal delivery changes you. I don't have advice on the dryness, but it could be that you just have to get used to the next size of your vaginal canal. Buy the super tampons that a bigger that might help. I have that symptom on and off, but I have just lived through it. I figure the smaller the tampon the more movement it gets until it is "blown up". That is my theory though. I am not sure it is right???
mom0f2swtgrls
by on May. 17, 2007 at 11:32 AM
I had the same thing right after my 6 week check up.  I used a tampon and after a few minutes had to take it out and it hurt :(  it was dry and stuck.  I used a panty liner because it was very light.  My daughter is now 3 (almost 4) months old and I haven't had any bleeding so I can't tell you if it changes or why it happened, I just thought I'd let you know I had the same thing.
josefeene18
by on May. 17, 2007 at 12:05 PM
Breastfeeding creates vaginal dryness in a majority of women.  Your OB should have talked to you about this knowing that you are breastfeeding.  It can make sex very uncomfortable.  However, using a tampon is worse because the tampon soaks up any mositure that might be there creating more dryness and making it dificult to remove.  You probably won't be able to use tampons until after you wean your baby.  And if sex gets to wear it hurts, the doctors recommend lots of ky jelly. 
Merykk
by on May. 17, 2007 at 12:22 PM
One of the hormones that stays in your system while you're breastfeeding not only causes dryness, but it also causes your tissues to be more sensitive. That's why breastfeeding women often experience pain or tenderness during sex or while using tampons for longer periods of time after giving birth.

Someone else suggested KY to use during sex. You can also use it before you put in a tampon to help with the insertion. It'll mostly absorb into the tampon, but when the tampon's ready to come out (full), there should be enough moisture for it to come out fine.
MommytoAbigail
by on May. 17, 2007 at 3:23 PM
no no why does everyone read my posts wrong? 
When I used a tampon the first time it was still dry and painfull to have sex but that was 6 months ago.  I'm not dry at all anymore and have no problem with sex. So thats why I figured I wouldn't have a problem. I guess I should have mentioned that my baby is 7 months old too.
beverlyrose
by on May. 18, 2007 at 1:56 AM

having sex and putting tampons is a totally different feeling...when you are in the mood for sex, your body produces lubercant (sometimes not when breastfeeding).  it could be that you are experiencing dryness just not during sex.  try going to a lower absorbancy.  if that doesnt work call your ob.

NoaB
by on May. 18, 2007 at 6:50 AM
I heard the same thing frpm my mommied friends, so I guess you are not alone on this one and it'll pass. I however have the opposit porob! I gave birth, a month later was still a bit bleeding, a month later and every month since (my baby is 4 months) i got my preiod (!) and now I am actually more wet than ever, never needed to use daliy protection pads and od have to now. Anyone hear of that?? Should I get it checked or.... is it ok?.....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)