Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

have to go back to work...help!

Posted by on May. 17, 2007 at 2:24 PM
  • 4 Replies
My husband just quit his job because his boss who is also his mom's boyfriend is a total jerk....i am not mad at him because i knew it would happen eventually.  Neway he is in construction so i know he will find work it just may take awhile and may not pay as well as before at first.  Neway we decided i have to go back to work full time to keep us afloat, and have a safety net.  My dd is 8 months old and is exclusively bfed.  SHe has never taken a bottle only a sippy cup and HATES formula so i will have to pump as much as possible.  I need some serious advice on how to make the adjustment easy as possible, she has drank bm from a sippy a few times but prefers me, ofcourse.  SHe has only been to daycare once for like an hour.  I am so scared!!!!!  Please tell me anything you can about your own experiences and what to do....thanks.
by on May. 17, 2007 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
buttons664
by on May. 17, 2007 at 4:22 PM
I went back to work when my baby was 4 1/2 months old.  He hates bottles!!  He will take the bottle only if he is STRAVING!  He still hates the bottle and he is 11 months old.  It is a little easier know though cause he is older and he eats more solid foods.  When he is at daycare they try giving more solid foods than bottle, cause they have to fight him to take the bottle.  I pump at work every 21/2 hours to keep up my milk supply.  Make sure you pump as much as you can at work!  It is very important to keep you milk supply up for the days when you are home with him.  Make sure you have a good pump too.  Either a Medela or a Ameda are great pumps. 
buttons664
by on May. 17, 2007 at 4:23 PM
Oh yea and dont give up Breastfeeding just cause you need to go back to work!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 17, 2007 at 4:28 PM
>>she has drank bm from a sippy a few times <<

There's 99 percent of your battle right there.

If she'll take it from a sippy cup, then your only real concern is making sure you schedule enough pumping sessions. One for every three hours away from baby.

She may have trouble adjusting to daycare, she may not. Since you've already had her in the setting, it might be easier for her. (In fact, prepare to have a harder time yourself than she does....that is very common!)

Hang in there and know you're doing what you need to do.
sara-gruntlings
by on May. 17, 2007 at 4:34 PM
My 5 month old will drink from a sippy but NOT a bottle. So when I leave him he's left with a sippy and not a bottle. It's a little bit messier, but it keeps him from starving.

He finds the sippy amusing because it looks like MY water bottle. (Both Nalgene, both blue)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)