Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on getting baby to sleep more

Posted by on May. 17, 2007 at 4:47 PM
  • 4 Replies
I love breastfeeding my 11 month old son so much.  But him waking up every 2 1/2 hours still at night to nurse is getting crazy!  I believe it is for the comfort of me nursing him, but i need sleep too!  Any advice on how to get you breasfeed baby to sleep through the night?
by on May. 17, 2007 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
beverlyrose
by on May. 17, 2007 at 4:56 PM
lol i know what you are going through.  just let him cry.  it does work and it takes patience and time.  you might feel like you are letting him down, but your not, its for the best.  nursing at night can lead to nursing caries, its true, my son had it and recently had to have dental sugery to get it fixed.  i didnt know it could happen, but it can.  also, you could try feeding him meals that fill him up a little bit more and let him play until he is exhausted and just wants to go to sleep.  hang in there, i know its hard, but it has worked for me!
alow
by on May. 17, 2007 at 5:08 PM
Ok...this was my husband and I a few months ago!!!  We went and saw the sleep clinic in our city and WOW!!!   what a difference!!!   He went from being up every 2-3 hours just to nurse to now he sleeps 10-12 hours straight and he is only 8 months old!!!  They gave us soooo many awesome tips.  There are too many to post here so if you'd like, send me a message and I will tell you all of them!!!!
AnyaV
by on May. 17, 2007 at 5:10 PM
Definately make sure he has a full tummy when he goes to bed. I still have a newborn that I nurse at night, she would wake every hour to hour and a half to feed, normal for sure but tiring. I started pumping and when she takes the bottle she can drink more in a shorter period of time and when she goes to bed with 3 or 4 ounces in her tummy she'll sleep for 4 or 5 hours without waking.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 17, 2007 at 8:21 PM
Have to disagree with the "let him cry" advice. Cry it out only teaches baby that  no one will respond. There are some alarming reports about negative effects of CIO from Harvard.

I equate infants with elderly invalids. You wouldn't leave your aging mom alone crying it out, and it shouldn't be done with a baby.

I'd suggest co-sleeping first. Alternately, check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution." Another mom here recommended the most current edition of Ferber...he's backed off "cry it out."  Also check out Dr Jay Gordon's online article "Changing the Sleep Pattern in the Family Bed."

But be aware that there's nothing wrong with your baby. Most infants do this. Their tummies are still small and they do get hungry in the middle of the night.

Co-sleeping worked best for us. (That, and me learning to live on four hours a night!.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)