Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need encouragement

Posted by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:49 PM
  • 3 Replies
My son is 8 months now and I have been pumping exclusivly except for at night. when i try to get him to latch on he screams at me and pushes himself away. I would love to beable to go back to bf it would make it so much easier for me.  Right now it is starting to wear on me having to pump so often.  There are times that i just want to give up and switch to formula. and now these past couple of days my milk supply is running very low that i am having trouble keeping up with him.  I don"t know what to do i really dont want to give up but if i cant give him what he needs what am i suppose to do?
by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gradysmom2006
by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:59 PM
You are doing so much for your baby by providing breastmilk!  Is there any way you can try to nurse at a different time?  My son will not nurse before bed anymore.  He nurses before his solids dinner and then doesn't nurse again until 2 am.  He gave up the bedtime nursing himself.  He refused to latch and pulled away from me.  When I decided to switch it to before his dinner he took it no problem.  Maybe ask whoever is giving the bottles to cut out the last bottle.  That way he will be hungry when he sees you and will be more accepting of the breast.  Stick it out, you are doing so much for your son by nursing. 
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 18, 2007 at 12:53 AM

Kudos to you for making it this long by pumping. Most moms don't get this far.

Is there a time of day when he's most likely to latch? Start by nursing him then.

He's probably fighting you because he's used to the ease of a bottle...that is one of the hazards of exclusive pumping. Try pumping just enough to get a letdown before attempting to latch.

If he can get the idea that the milk is there (and it is made while you pump or nurse) he will be more willing to go along with you. But it's going to take being stubborn. And getting rid of the bottles. Use sippy cups instead.

Kellymom has info on getting baby back to the breast. It *can* be done...just be warned that it's not an easy road.

Then again, if you'd wanted easy you'd have gotten a goldfish instead of a baby, right? :-D

glphoto
by on May. 18, 2007 at 6:49 AM
I have used fenugreek in the past to pump up my milk supply and I feel that it has worked well for me.  That may allow you to not have to pump as often.  But I think you are doing a great job!  If you feel it is just time to stop then don't be hard on yourself.  Sometimes your child will just naturally want to wean themselves, I wouldn't put too much effort into battling with him about it if that is the case.  If you want to continue on then do everything you can to make it easier (use a double electric pump, take fenugreek, drop a pumping session or shorten the pumping time some, I think there is also a prescription that can help increase lactation too.)  Good luck!

Sincerely,
Grace
http://glphoto.etsy.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)