Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Other sources of Calcium

Posted by on May. 18, 2007 at 8:07 AM
  • 5 Replies
I am a new mother and am breastfeeding. I've noticed that my son is gassy and seems to be crampy this past week. I'm concerned that this might be caused by something I'm eating. Using the process of elimation, I've decided to cut milk out to see if this helps.  What are other suggested sources of calcium to breastfeeding mothers who cut out milk from their diets? 
by on May. 18, 2007 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mom2Xavier
by on May. 18, 2007 at 8:20 AM
You can take a multivitamin, drink OJ w/calcium, eat cheese, eat dark greens...this might be helpful:
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/calcium.html
angmcg
by on May. 18, 2007 at 8:32 AM
first of all, congratulations!  my daughter is now 5 months old and i also noticed her acting the same way.  she was gassy from day one.  i LOVE dairy. i not only cut all dairy out of my diet, but also any foods that were gas producing, like beans and certain veggies.  this was very hard to do... but it was for her, and she responded great to the change.  go for it!  for the calcium, keep taking the prenatal vitamin and if you like fish, salmon is an excellent source.  1/4 cup of salmon has 10% of your daily intake.  i made salmon brugers last night.  mix one can with one egg and about 3/4 cup of bread crumbs or crackers and brown in a skillet with olive oil.  be sure to eat the skin and bones, beause that's where all the great stuff is!  omega 3 fatty acids and calcium.
i noticed that she was still gassy, so just as you need to burp a baby, some need a little extra help on the other end too.  when i felt or heard a rumble  coming from her diaper, i would either squeeze her knee(s) up to her chest or squeeze her belly gently (like a lil whoopie cushion) to help push out the gas.  so far so good!!!
Good luck! 
layanette
by on May. 18, 2007 at 10:00 AM
GREEN LEAFY VEGETABLES!!!! Lettuce (not iceburg lettuce it has zero nutritional value), Kale, Bok Choy, Spinach (especially). Also great northern beans are a good source.
lonestarmom
by on May. 18, 2007 at 10:19 AM
My DS is 10 months old now and I gave up dairy when he was little for the same reason. I had to give up ALL dairy except butter. No cheese, no ice cream, no milk, not even a small amount in something baked or in a packaged item that would have powdered milk in it would be okay. It was very hard to stay dairy free, but once I got the hang of it, it really helped. I could tell if I'd accidentally had some by how fussy and gassy he was in the evening. Yogurt might be a good source for you - my DS wouldn't tolerate me having yogurt, but the bacteria basically predigest the protein (which is what causes the problem) and makes it easier or the baby.

Calcium was a big concern for me too. Dark leafy greens are the best answer. The lactation consultant who ran the group I went to used to say, "You don't have to drink milk to make milk; cows eat grass." It always made me laugh, but it's true. Broccoli, spinach, kale, and others are all GREAT sources of calcium. I also switched to soy milk. Some babies react to soy as well; I was lucky and it didn't bother my DS.

Good luck and hang in there. I was able to add small amounts back in at about 7 months. Start slow when you add dairy back in, both to check on how your baby does with it and to give your body a chance to adjust to having to digest lactose again.
Rach2
by on May. 18, 2007 at 10:25 AM
Hello my son used to experience the same issues while nursing as well as myself.I found that after I delivered my son I could no longer break down dairy.I stopped drinking milk and now have to take lactaid pills.I am still nursing and take a my oldest sons flinstones(one a day) for calcium supplements.I still eat cheese with a lactaid pill but I noticed that cutting out milk my son no longer has these problems(gas niether do I!).After 6 months my baby seemed to develop a more matured digestive tract.Multi vitamins are a great supplement for you.I still avoid dark greens spinach,brocolli and shell fish and his gas issues are no longer a problem.Good luck hope I helped.Its tough when they cramp up so bad I used to feel helpless but they will pass milk is tough to break down.At that point he loved me holdin him in football hold tummy lying on my arm.Congragulations by the way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)