Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

He BIT me...OUCH!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!

Posted by on May. 18, 2007 at 1:10 PM
  • 11 Replies
OK...I'm hurting today.  The little shark bit me w/ his new first tooth.  I have the mark to prove!:)  So help any advice on how to stop this...I would like to keep my nipples for the next child!!!  He is 8 months old so be nice w/ the advice....Thabk you
by on May. 18, 2007 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by on May. 18, 2007 at 1:12 PM
For each nursing session:
1st bite: take him off, tell him NO! sternly and say OUCH! that hurts mommy
2nd bite: same as the 1st
3rd bite: close up shop
He'll get the hint when he's hungry and you won't let him feed!
sillypjs
by on May. 18, 2007 at 1:21 PM
The first time my son bit me (about 3 weeks ago) he drew blood. So I TOTALLY understand I wanted to quit nursing after that and did until I got home from work. I've also read that a way to stop him is to draw him into your breast so he can't breath, just for a second which hasn't worked for me so I've had to flick him in the cheek with just enough pressure that he stops and looks at me and then I tell him No don't bite and thats worked really well, and if he still bites then I take him off because I know he's just using me as another teething toy. Just remember whenver you tell your baby no always be firm, don't laugh otherwise they won't listen! And as for the nipple pain, warm tea bags (after they've been steeped) help.
fourhearts
by on May. 18, 2007 at 1:23 PM
Yes, it does hurt like hockey sticks!!! I didn't get to nurse all but 1-3 months with my others. I am still nursing our 6 month old and he got his two front teeth in at Easter time, now they're in fully!! My mom suggested nipple gaurds/ shields, has anyone here tried them for this reason? I'll pull him back and let him know what he did, most the time he laughs. Other times if he's being too aggressive and I know he needs to eat, I'll make him a bottle!
josefeene18
by on May. 18, 2007 at 1:27 PM
Don't let him nurse when he is biting.  From my experience, when my daughter was 8 months, she would bite if she wasn't really hungry.  She was just playing around.  And once she got a cold and she couldn't breathe so she would get frustrated while trying to nurse.  She bit me so hard she drew blood!  I couldn't believe it. 

Like someone else suggested, say "No biting" and remove him from the breast.  Do this a couple of times and if he doesn't stop biting, don't let him nurse.  He will quickly get the point.  My daughter stopped biting after about a week.  And hasn't bitten since.
julz777
by on May. 18, 2007 at 1:36 PM
My daughter would bite me before she any teeth came in about a month ago and that hurt.  Just the other day though she bit me hard and she now has her two bottom teeth.  I unlatched her and told her "no that hurts mommy"  she just smiled.  Then right after that she bit me again so I took her off again and said the same thing but I little meaner and she just looked at me.  She hasn't done it since then though.
Birdee
by on May. 18, 2007 at 1:42 PM
I had heard the louder you yell "Ouch & NO" the better.  The flick thing works on their face.  I like the taking away thing too.  My boy never did that to me, but my girl has bit me with her gums & that hurts.  She hasn't done it in a long time, but I did all the things above & she doesn't do it anymore.  I also read that don't play with your baby while feeding them & also if your baby has fed for a while & just on to pacify don't let them because that can lead to biting (chew toy) LOL  Good luck! 
mommyjen2
by on May. 18, 2007 at 1:58 PM
The first time my daughter bit me she laughed, I did not!  The second time it startled me and I said 'ouch' rather loud and it scared her.  She started to cry, oops.  Dr. Sears says to pull the baby in close to your breast, he will automatically let go in order to open his mouth more and uncover his nose to breathe.  After doing this several times he will realize that biting triggers an uncomfortable position and will adjust.  He also says it is OK to say no because he needs to learn that some undesirable action occurs when he bites, but not to frighten him.  He also says to keep a log of what triggers the biting and when he bites. 
I didn't have to do the last part but I did do the first and it didn't take long for her to stop.  The hardest part for me was not yelling "ouch".  But after the crying episode I bit my tongue (a bit nipple and a bit tongue, ouch!).  Good luck!

labonte
by on May. 18, 2007 at 2:16 PM
Okay my daughter is 10.5 months she has 4 teeth and man are they SHARP! She hasn't drawn blood but it is becoming a habit to nibble. I have to do all I can to not freak out. My husband wants me to take her off the the breast but she is exclusively breastfed... she won't even take bottle. I'm afraid to even try.
tracy227
by on May. 18, 2007 at 2:18 PM
OUCH!!!  I cringed as I read that.....I am NOT looking forward to that...lol.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 18, 2007 at 2:19 PM

Quoting labonte:

Okay my daughter is 10.5 months she has 4 teeth and man are they SHARP! She hasn't drawn blood but it is becoming a habit to nibble. I have to do all I can to not freak out. My husband wants me to take her off the the breast but she is exclusively breastfed... she won't even take bottle. I'm afraid to even try.

Mom, see the very first response to this post and use it. It does work!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)