Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She's making slirping noises.

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 8:38 AM
  • 2 Replies
She is making slirping noises which the nurses at the hospital said she shouldn't do.  How do I get her to stop?  I try to unlatch and relatch but she doesn't stop.
by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
sara-gruntlings
by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 10:15 AM
Stick your pinkie finger in the corner of her mouth to break the latch. Then make sure she's opening wide.. I found that my baby opened widest if I touched my nipple to his nose then drew a line with it down to his chin. Other babies apparently open widest if you tickle the lower lip with the nipple. You can also push down gently on her chin to open her mouth up wider.

Once the baby's mouth is open wide, quickly bring her in to the breast to latch her on.  You want to make sure your nipple is on top of her tongue, not under it. (which can cause slurping sounds, and which won't get the baby any milk) Newborns are notorious for sucking on anything- including their own tongue.

If she continues to slurp, break and re-latch. Stopping a bad latch in the beginning is easier than breaking the habit later on! Plus, slurping will give her gas and won't pull down the fatty hindmilk that she needs to grow.

Could be she's just sleepy and feeling lazy. Try undressing her down to her diaper and covering the two of you with a blanket. Skin to skin is great for teaching newborns to latch on.

You can also try experimenting with different styles of holding her. I found the football hold (google it) to be VERY easy to use while latching on in the beginning.

I also found that the "cigarette hold" method of offering the nipple to the baby was much easier than the "c cup" method. (holding the areolae with my index and middle finger like a cigarette, rather than holding it with my thumb and index finger). The cigarette hold isn't supposed to be very good, but I could never get the c-cup to work, and the cigarette hold has worked every time. Basically clasp your areola between your index and middle fingers, knuckles facing the baby, and make sure that your fingers are high enough up on the breast that they are above the area where you want your baby's lips to fall.

If you are engorged, your little one may have a hard time latching on. Are your breasts hard? Try pumping for a minute or so to soften them slightly to allow her to latch on more easily.

If she's a very new baby, she could also just not be hungry enough to work for the food just yet. Mine refused to latch on properly until day 3. He'd mouth the nipple but wouldn't suck properly. Then day 3 the hunger struck and he became all about latching on in whatever way would get him the milk.

Is there a lactation consultant in your area that could help you establish a good latch?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 28, 2007 at 9:46 PM
The noise itself isn't a problem. Some babies do slurp..which can drive you insane. (Just the WORD drives me nuts...glad my son didn't do this!)

Are you feeling any pain when she latches? How's her diaper output?

Sarah gave you great tips on checking the latch.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)