Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Want to breastfeed again

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 10:40 PM
  • 9 Replies
I have an 8 month old son who I breastfed for 4 months but I did not make enough milk to satisfy him. Now I am expecting another baby in October and I would like to know if there is a certain thing I need to do to make sure my milk stays and is it hard breastfeeding a newborn while raising a 16 month old?
by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mimomof3boys
by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 10:48 PM

My oldest two were twenty months apart and I breastfed. It was very hard but you get through it. I don't know about the milk supply thing. I have never had a problem. I have heard that by drinking a beer you can increase your milk supply. I found that amazing and know a few people who have used it! Best of luck and congrats!

cziegenbein
by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 10:54 PM

i have heard that Mothers Milk Tea with help the milk supply, and also some other pill you can take but I'm not sure of the name.
diaperqueen
by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 10:59 PM
Try adding more calories to your diet. They say you need to add over 500 calories to your diet if you're going to breastfeed. More if you're super active or exercise. Also just try to get as much rest as possible because if you don't get much sleep your milk supply will decrease.
sara-gruntlings
by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 10:59 PM
The pill the previous poster mentioned is fenugreek. It's pretty good stuff. :)

Do you know what caused your milk supply to fail last time? Usually supplementing with formula, introducing pacifiers or bottles before 6 weeks, attempting to "schedule" breastfeeding, or going on the birth control pill are the main culprits. Avoid those this time around!

Are you stay-at-home or working out of home? If you're working during the day you need to be sure to pump frequently with a hospital grade pump to keep your milk up.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 1, 2007 at 1:15 AM

In answer to your second...it's hard having a newborn with another child, no matter how you feed.

As to your breastfeeding issues...frequently moms *think* they're not making enough milk when they actually are.

The ONLY indication of adequate supply is the number of diapers you change. One er day of life for the first week, 6-8 per day thereafter.

What you pump means nothing.

Baby's behavior means nothing.

Just the dipe count.

Read Janet Tamaro's "So That's What They're For!" for great tips. Also, find a La Leche League group in your area.

And be sure to ask lots of questions here on this board! :-)

Gen
by on Mar. 1, 2007 at 4:12 AM
Well you can start pumping in between feedings to increase your breast milk and let your baby feed for as long and as often the baby needs.
cacc2002
by on Mar. 1, 2007 at 12:59 PM
Try to keep on a schedule of feeding so that your body is used to knowing when and how fast to make milk.
kkblade
by on Mar. 1, 2007 at 1:47 PM
Some hints for your milk supply -- drink PLENTY of water (my doc said a gallon per day!!), eat enough/get enough sleep and nurse on demand. Never deny your baby the opportunity to nurse. If possible, do not offer your baby any formula since breastmilk is supply and demand your baby will set the amount of milk your body needs to make.

If you still have issues with your supply, there are some other things you can try like oatmeal or something called fenugreek but I have never had to use those methods. I think that if you just listen to your baby and your body you should be fine.
sara-gruntlings
by on Mar. 1, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Quoting cacc2002:

Try to keep on a schedule of feeding so that your body is used to knowing when and how fast to make milk.
make sure it's a "schedule of frequency" not a "schedule of limitation". Ie: If the baby wants a feeding that isn't part of the schedule, FEED THE BABY. The more frequently he nurses, the better.

But yes, if you're making a point of nursing or pumping every 2-3 hours during the day, and every 4-6 hours overnight, the "schedule of frequency" can work in your favor by increasing supply.Denying a feeding because it's not time yet- not a good idea supply wise.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN