Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

TATTOOS, TANNING, PIERCINGS, HAIR DYE - YES, YOU CAN DO THEM ALL.

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2008 at 12:54 AM
  • 96 Replies

Just because these questions get asked regularly.

Tanning: Safe. No effect on milk.

Hair dye: Safe. No effect on milk.

Piercing: Safe if the place is sterile.

Tattooing: SAFE per Dr. Thomas Hale. This is from him (with thanks to Hottubgoddess for passing it on)

As for Tatoos, we don’t have any data.  Its just subcutaneous ink that is not absorbed…hence it can’t get to milk.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

by on Mar. 6, 2008 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PirateChick911
by on Mar. 6, 2008 at 12:57 AM
lol can we sticky that? i get so tired of every few days the same questions getting asked about that.
"Formula feeding is the longest lasting uncontrolled experiment lacking informed consent in the history of medicine."     -Frank Oski, M.D., retired editor, Journal of Pediatrics

HEFFA-5.png picture by jodell80 

Support This Site

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 6, 2008 at 1:12 AM

Quoting PirateChick911:

lol can we sticky that? i get so tired of every few days the same questions getting asked about that.

It is up as a sticky. Will probably get ignored just like the alcohol/meds sticky but I'm making the effort.
PirateChick911
by on Mar. 6, 2008 at 1:38 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting PirateChick911:

It is up as a sticky. Will probably get ignored just like the alcohol/meds sticky but I'm making the effort.

You are probably very right. . . . the funny thing is, there is many sites that tell you want you can and cannot do, and its amazing how people wont really look it up.
"Formula feeding is the longest lasting uncontrolled experiment lacking informed consent in the history of medicine."     -Frank Oski, M.D., retired editor, Journal of Pediatrics

HEFFA-5.png picture by jodell80 

Support This Site

kbalstad
by on Mar. 6, 2008 at 2:11 AM
It's "easier" to just ask over and over and over and over! Lol!

~Kristin~

MisanthropKitty
by on Mar. 6, 2008 at 9:34 AM
duh... because everyone thinks they have a "unique" situation to throw into the mix =)
mamatiff06
by Tiff on Mar. 6, 2008 at 9:46 AM
I know people that do that they ask  the same thing from like 5 different people one did it while i was standing there.I  was like if you didnt want the advice from why did you ask seesh.
You do awesome stuff gdiamante *MWAH* we love ya for it
MamaJessMarrie
by on Mar. 7, 2008 at 2:04 PM

oh my thats great to hear because i am dieing for a tattoo but I am six mnths pregnant and then i will be breastfeeding again and i thought i would have to basically wait another year after having my son to get them....great news.this made my day...lol
Jessica

fibromom1975
by on Mar. 13, 2008 at 7:36 AM
I have a rose tattoo on my right breast. I got it between babies 1 and 2. I haven't seen any adverse effects on the baby but I got it a while before conceiving. They are 5 years apart.
Thanks for the interesting info.  I also had my nipples peirced until I was 6 months pregnant with my number 4 baby, I took them out to breastfeed. I didn't want to take any chances of having any bacteria where the baby was going to nurse.

bctvmanz
by on Mar. 13, 2008 at 7:42 AM
What my understand was on the tattoos while breastfeeding wasn't so much the ink passing into the milk (They said the ink particles were too big) but the risk of infection that would keep most artists from tattooing a nursing mama.  The infection would not affect your milk supply but you may then pass the infection to the nursing child.

MsMaryMermaid
by on Mar. 13, 2008 at 11:45 AM
My husband asked his tattoo artist if I could get a tattoo while breastfeeding, and he was told that here in WA it was actually illegal to tattoo a pregnant or nursing mom...

I found that interesting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)