Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
My son is 8 months old and was breastfeed for 7 months and then I started giving him cereal and a fruit or veggie once a day. People think I'm crazy for letting him breastfeed this long and not introducing much food. The thing is my son isn't really interested in solids. I let him nurse whenever he feels like it and he's gaining fine. So what do you think.
by on Mar. 2, 2007 at 9:57 PM
Replies (11-17):
Shi_Mommi
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 12:38 AM

Yep I'm the same... my son wouldn't have anything to do with solids until he was 9 months and I had started at about 3 months... well my mother did... and everyone I knew told me to stop at a year cuz then they could get cow milk... but when I went to his doctors just this last check up the doctor told me that he thinks i should try to breast feed him until he is at least 15 months... he is a BIG fan of breast feeding... but lately he really LOVES real food two which is starting to be good if he wasn't so demanding... but I tried  and tried and tried... but what worked for me was when I went to my grandmothers he sat on my lap while we ate dinner and breakfest and since then he has been eating like crazy... the other thing that everyone notices is that he eats solid foods a lot better for EVERYONE else then he does for me... like he knows why u feeding me this when u could be feeding me something so much better... the other problem I have is his grandma on his dad side is always talking about if he had his passport she would be taking him to a Trinidad... where she is from... tomorrow... which she wouldn't be cuz he is still just 11 months and I think he still needs the breast... lol ur doing fine and don't worry about what other people say and don't let it get to u cuz it will lessen ur supply and then they are practicly winning...

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 3, 2007 at 12:48 AM
You're following American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations. You're doing fine.
Lsmom
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 10:47 PM
It is not bad.....it is great that you are nursing! I still breastfeed my daughter, who is almost 13 months. I too, get comments and they really tick me off, but I try to forget what others say and do what is best for my baby. More power to you!
nanitadpcv
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 1:52 AM
My daughter is almost 15 months...and im still breastfeeding her...its my gift for her...im off to school at 8am...leave school at 230pm..in to work at 3 off at 6pm...she doesnt see me for the majority of the day...might as well give her a great gift for being such a good girl and keep up with mama!
luc-and-jojo
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 1:03 PM
My baby boy is almost 8 months and I still nurse him 24-7. He's just not that interested in baby cereal or food.  I don't mind it cuz I love nursing him and he's definitely getting enough calories...hes a big boy!
lovesturtles
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 1:21 PM
My daughter will be 18 months in 2 days and we're still nursing.  She didn't start solids until right at 7 months and she's doing great.  You're doing fine.  Just ignore people who are telling you to stop nursing.  I've had to ignore my mother who can't believe I'm still nursing.  (no, she didn't breastfeed).
klwright
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 1:39 PM
yep, doing fine.  food at this age is for socialization anyway.  texture color taste, sitting ith the family . 

We have the baby sit with us during meal times after filling her belly with bm (breastfeed on demand) i skip the cereals all together, di dfor both. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)