Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

what am i doing wroung?????????????????

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 10:53 PM
  • 6 Replies
well my daughter is 3 mouths and im still nursing her. but i also give her formula when im not home like when im at work. the prob. is that sometimes it seems like she dont even want my breast she seems like she wants the baba more. is she getting enough milk out of them or what does anyone have this prob like when my breast become full she enjoys the milk out of them but when they get really soft cause she ate of them an hour before it seems like there emty and wont take them. this is my first time nursing and i love it and i miss it  when im at work cause im so close to my baby girl so does your breast get emty  after she nursrses for so long and u have to wait or what  please i need advise
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mandolin
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 11:05 PM
The trouble is that the bottle is easier for baby than nursing at the breast.  Also, depending on how long you are away from her, your milk supply could be suffering.

Is there any way you can pump at work?  Even if you can't store the milk, but just pump  for 15 minutes in the middle of the day and dump it, that would help keep your supply up. 

Also, nurse lots and lots at night - sneak in and get an extra nurse in before you go to bed, even if it means waking her up a little.  You might also want to switch to a very slow flow bottle so the bottle is not TOO easy when mom is gone!  lol

Hang in there - the first 3 months are tough, but it is pretty smooth sailing after that.
bhwrn1
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 11:11 PM

I agree, slow flow nipple. I am still on stage one and my son is 4 months old. He gets one bottle of formula at daycare three days a week and one bottle from my husband three nights a week when we take turns with the night shift.
Do you pump at work? I pump three times a day and am able to make one bottle full.
Keep offering the breast, often. Especially when you are home with her, like on the weekends.
The milk is there, even when the breast is soft.
Keep trying. My son and I just got in sync when he was three months. He is 4 months now and I can't believe how easy it has become and how much more comfortable I am with it.
Another thing you can try is seeing if some of the bottle feedings can be done with a cup. How long has she been getting the bottle? Is it possible to try and give her a cup at some of the feedings?

faith11606
by on Mar. 3, 2007 at 11:21 PM
Don't get frustrated I am going through the same problem and my daughter is 4 mos old and it makes me question if I am doing something wrong or if my milk is running low. There could be a few reasons for this.  It could be that she had gotten use to not working hard for her food n gets frustrated that she has to work so hard at the breast, but that depends on how often she may get the bottel.  Then it depends now how much you work and if u are pumping throughout that time.  To keep your milk supply up freq. pumpings will help or as much as u can do, u should try to pump an hour after each feeding u supply.  As long as u put a demand on your milk it will be there.   I some times give my daughter 2-4 ounces from a bottel( breast or formula) after she may nurse b/c there are times that she will only nurse for about 10 mins. and then turns her head away and refuses to latch on again, but she has no prob. taking the bottel.  By this time she know when she is hungry and full and I just go off of how she acting.  I hope this helps, but the main thing that you can do is not give up and keep trying, but if it does fail try not to get upset at least u did it for as long as u did. 
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 4, 2007 at 12:09 AM
>>well my daughter is 3 mouths and im still nursing her. but i also give her formula when im not home like when im at work. the prob. is that sometimes it seems like she dont even want my breast she seems like she wants the baba more.<<

That is a sign of nipple preference. Bottles are easier. So...switch her to a sippy cup.

>>is she getting enough milk out of them or what does anyone have this prob like when my breast become full she enjoys the milk out of them but when they get really soft cause she ate of them an hour before it seems like there emty and wont take them. this is my first time nursing and i love it and i miss it  when im at work cause im so close to my baby girl so does your breast get emty  after she nursrses for so long and u have to wait or what  please i need advise<<

The breast never empties; milk is made while you nurse. But letdown can slow down.

And at three months...she's at a growth spurt. Usual behavior is to act frustrated and unhappy.

Sounds to me like you're doing everything right. Rule of thumb: If the behavior makes you insane, you're doing it right. :-)
haydensmum
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 4:38 AM
Best Advice my sister gave me: Try not to give formula because it will interrupt your breastfeeding system with your baby.

As a career mom, she would pump her breast at work (twice/day), in the car (yes...while driving!), and when she was away from her baby. This way, your milk supply will not decrease.

Remember, your breastmilk is all about supply and demand.  For all the times , your baby takes formula, you need to actively pump away (the same time the baby feeds). Also, keep in mind, formula fills up the baby faster and longer (4 hours as opposed to the breastmilk ...2-3 hrs).

If you can, have your baby drink breastmilk only (including the expressed breastmilk).

Good luck!
misssy2000
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 5:22 AM

I would reccoment that you get a good pump so that you could keep the supply up. you may want ot try giving her pumped breast milk instead of formula. I neve tried formula but my mommy had to work while she was nurseing and she said that formula may be more filling for babies so that they ge full faster. supplementing acan negutively effect your milk supply, so fi you have to supplement then make sure that you pump to keep ip your supply and offer the breast any time that you can especially at night. My daughter can eat almost all night long sne just sucks,,, and sucks,,, and sucks and even when she not sucking my breast stays in her mouth. so you just gotten get her eating all ngiht so your milk supply can stay up. And bottles are easier for them to drink fromso sometimes babies perfer it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)