Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to be any second.... planing on Nursing!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 2:57 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hi Ladies... I will be having my little boy any day now (or at least I hope)... and I am planing on nursing!! I am so nervous that for some reason I wont be able to or it will hurt... I would feel liek a faiure as a mom already if I couldn't do it.... Any advice going into labor / delivary / breastfeeding for a first time mommy?
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billynalexmom
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 3:01 PM
Ask for a nurse to be in the room with you who know about nursing, yes I know that the hospital has lacation consultants but you can't be sure that they will be there when you deliver.  Take your time and take a deep breath.  yes it may hurt alittle at first and feel odd but that is normal.  Admit you need help and let them help you that is what they are their for.  Don't get discouraged there in not some motherly sense that will just tell you what to do.  Babies do lose weight and you will not have milk the first few days you will have colstum(sp?).  Good luck with your new little bundel of joy and if you need help don't be afraid to ask.
sweetmoonflower
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 3:06 PM
With my first son, the hospital and nurses were absolutly useless, they wouldn't come when I'd call. I finally figure out how to get him to latch on bymyself after calling a nurse for 30 minutes and trying in between calls.
I would say to find numbers for help when you are out of the hospital. It is easier to figure out when you are in the hospital and your milk hasn't come in.  Find support where ever you can. And when in the hospital, keep calling the nurses, when they change shifts, let the nurses know if you have had any problems with the other nurses helping you, and that you are trying to breastfeed. Good Luck, and Don't Give up!! Reach out for help!
tannersmom
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 3:07 PM
try to nurse him as soon after birth as possible.  Its a learning expirience for you and for baby.  Just don't get so discouraged that you let him nurse with a bad latch on,  you will regret it.  But even with a good latch on, your nipples will get tender at first, but that passes.  I have been nursing for 4 months and i don't even think twice about it,  your nipples get used to it.    you'll do great! good luck!
LOVEMY2KIDS
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 3:44 PM
You can request a nursing cunsultant to be in your room when you give birth. They can help you learn how to nurse and get a good latch. If at first you don't succeed try try again! I breastfed both of my kids. It took 14 hours to get my son to nurse for the first time. But only a couple of seconds to get my daughter to nurse. You need to make sure to tell the hospital that you want to nurse imediatly after birth and that way you should be able to try within min of birth. the sooner the better. I was handed my son 15 min after he was born so he wanted to sleep instead of nurse but with my daughter they had my husband cut the cord, wrapped her in a blanket and handed her to me right away. Breastfeeding is a learned experience. It doesnt come natural for you or the baby. You just have to keep trying until it works. Also it may hurt at first because your body goes through so many changes during pregnancy and birth. but you just have to stick with it. If it hurts really bad that usually means that there isnt good sucktion. so you have to stick your pinky in the corner of the baby's mouth to break suction and try to get them to open their mouth as wide as possible and stick as much of the areola (darker part of breast)  inthe baby's mouth as possible. dont let the baby suck on just the nipple or it will hurt. My daughter wouldnt open her mouth wide enough after the first time she nursed so it hurt. I had to keep trying and finally i got her to open wide and latch on. So dont get discouraged if it hurts or doesn't work at first just keep trying and eventually you both will get the hang of it!
myboysjmved
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 3:45 PM
This is my second time breastfeeding, i breastfed my first now im doing the same for my second. a nurse came in when i gave birth to my first and pretty much showed me how to get a baby to latch on, so nurses are a great help, and yes its going to hurt at first, but it will pass. and after your lil bundle of joy latches on they already know what to do. so good luck!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 4, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Have you done any reading? Get someone to find you a copy of "So That's What They're For." Very easy reading (I finished it in two hours) and lots of good advice.

Get a lactation consultant to help you in the hospital with the latch. Get baby latched on right after birth.

Do NOT allow any bottles near your baby.

Have someone pick you up a tube of lansinoh.

Remember that weight means next to nothing in breastfeeding success..but diaprr count is very important. One per day of life for the first week, 6-8 thereafter.

Expect that your baby will lose up to ten percent of birth weight. The lowest weight is what you will use to judge all subsequent gain.

Bookmark this board and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Oh..and regarding pain? Childbirth hurts lots worse and is far less empowering than breastfeeding. :-D

Carriec
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 3:56 PM
Would it be possible for you to hire a doula?  Not only are they great for compassionate, knowledgeable birth support, they are super for breastfeeding help and advice as well.  And bringing your baby to your breast to nurse in the first moments of life is amazing, as well as beneficial to him and your body!  Yay!  Congratulations to you, and good luck!
mbmomof3
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 7:28 PM
Stick to it and don't give up!!  It may be challenging at first, but it is well worth it!  There were times, in all honesty, early on with both of my girls that I thought about quitting, but I am SOOO happy that I didn't!  It was a great accomplishment and really good for both of them! 
haydensmum
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 4:15 AM
I was nervous the first time too. Don't worry, you'll be a great mom! Whatever you do, don't give up and switch to formula. I was tempted before but Im glad I stuck to my guns.If you're TYPE A like me...

1) You should read the "Womenly Art of Breastfeeding". I can't tell you how much that book helped me through the long nights of worry. It educated me on how to breastfeed.

2) Purchase Lansinoh lanolin and start applying and massaging your nipples to get them conditioned.

3) Join a support group. Where I live in SoCal, there is a place called "The Pump Station" (www.pumpstation.com) that has classes before childbirth and even after. They even have weekly support groups where breastfeeding mothers go and discuss all issues where lactation nurses help. Your hospital should have these support groups.

4) When you deliver, try to have your newborn latch on immediately the first hour.

5) When in the maternity ward, ask to be seen by the lactation nurse immediately once they bring the newborn to you.

6) For the first few days, you will only have colostrum. Don't worry, try to nurse as much as possible. It's normal for your infant to drop 10% of her birthweight in the first few days unless if she was underweight or premature at birth.

7) Don't worry about pumping so soon.. just breastfeed for the first month. Your milk production will start to increase steadily as your infant breastfeeds.

8) Drink plenty of water!

You'll be so happy when your baby is healthy and doesnt get sick.Good luck!
misssy2000
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 4:29 AM
I aint gone lie to ya but breast feeding is a challenge at firsst. You will neeed a couple nurseing bras(your breast will be so tender that i would not recommend underwires)
some lanisnol grease or what ever its called, plenty breast pads, and dont freat because after about a week most of the painful part may be gone. I wooudl ask for the hospitol pump if I were you to a) get your milk comeing out nice and steady, and b) to releave the engorged feeling that you feel from being full of milk. my daughter would not eat very much the first two days of her like so I was full of milk and she would not releave me. so thats why a pump is good to get up your milk supply, and get that milk out of you. You will be great you will be suprised at all your body is able to do. Well congrats,
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)