Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Baby has gas and upset stomach- remedies??

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 6:39 PM
  • 10 Replies
my 3 week old seems to be suffering from gas and upset stomach. I was told by a mom in the babies R us to try something called "little remedies" and I have seen some posts on here about Gripe water. can you tell me what these are and where I do I buy them- I have tried the mylicon drops. they seem to work sometimes but not always. in the meantime I am doing everything I can to ease his discomfort. he loves rocking the most.
thanks
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ktnordland
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 6:47 PM
My baby has it too, you can find gripe water at health food stores, along with other homeopathic remidies for colic. You can also find little tummies gripe water at babies r us I think I saw it in a package with other medicines. I used the stuff you buy in the health food store and it helped. And if he's not too frantic try rubbing his tummy in a clockwise circle using some baby oil to help him pass it.
lilalexusrose
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 6:53 PM
Also monitor what you're eating that could be causing his discomfort, such as an allergy or food sensitivity. A lot of people chalk it up to just colic, but changing your diet can have a huge impact. We found out that our daughter has a sensitivity to cow's milk protein at 5 weeks, after she's been increasingly gassy and fussy, especially in the evening. I cut out 100% dairy, including milk, butter, yogurt, whey, casein in anything I eat. It has changed her 100%, and she's now 6 months. Something like 70% of babies outgrow it too, so it's not forever. Just something to think about! It can takea few weeks to get of your system, so if you do try to non dairy thing give it about a month to see if it works. Good luck!
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2007 at 6:59 PM
Mylecon (sp?) drops work wonders!
afhoney03
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 7:04 PM

what always worked in my fam is Star Anis. Take some put it in a small pot with water boil it (like tea) and give it to the baby.  You can find the star anis in ethnic food stores or even at walmart in the spanish Isle where they have all the herbs in the bag. hope that helps.

Pieta0227
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 7:22 PM
mylicon drops alwasy seemed to help my second but my first has bowel issues(kind of like IBS).  when she was gassy as a baby, i'd hold her where the heel of my hand was on her tummy and she laid tummy down on my forearm.  This puts some pressure on the tummy and eases some of the gassy pain-at least for my daughter.  Try this where she is leaning toward your body a little and her left side is leaning down and toward your body...if that makes any sense.  like she is laying kind of on her left side in between yur arm and your body.  The bowel loops around toward the left so laying on your left side helps the gas bubbles move more quickly.

I hope you can figure out something that works for her.

have you tried a warm bath?  That might also relax her a bit if she likes the water.

also, try looking at this website www.postgradmed.com/pearls.htm
toward the very bottom of the page is a "pearl" (tip from doc to doc on creative patient care techniques) titled "Helping baby burp"  by dr ron reynolds.  This might work to help her burp and get rid of some of the gas. 
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 9, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Gripe water is at the health food store. (Make friends with the clerks there...you will be shopping there a LOT!)

Do you have a fast letdown? The gassiness could be a reaction to that. Kellymom.com has info on combatting overactive or forceful letdown.

Another thing to keep in mind is the possibility of reaction to dairy in your diet. It's one of the most common causes of gassiness and upset stomach in babies. If that's a possibility in your case, take a look at the dairy elimination suggestions on drjaygordon.com.

arogueprincess
by on Jun. 9, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Quoting lilalexusrose:

Also monitor what you're eating that could be causing his discomfort, such as an allergy or food sensitivity. A lot of people chalk it up to just colic, but changing your diet can have a huge impact. We found out that our daughter has a sensitivity to cow's milk protein at 5 weeks, after she's been increasingly gassy and fussy, especially in the evening. I cut out 100% dairy, including milk, butter, yogurt, whey, casein in anything I eat. It has changed her 100%, and she's now 6 months. Something like 70% of babies outgrow it too, so it's not forever. Just something to think about! It can takea few weeks to get of your system, so if you do try to non dairy thing give it about a month to see if it works. Good luck!
I have been considering cutting out dairy because my DD has eczema and I read that it could be an allergy related to something I'm eating...she had to be hospitalized for a virus a month ago and when she was on the IV and not getting my milk, her skin really cleared up...now it's worse then ever again....do you supplement with a calcium pill or anything???
ktclick
by on Jun. 10, 2007 at 1:54 PM
My (now 9 month old) daughter is like this too. Mylicon worked pretty well for us, but I didn't like giving it to her too much. We also use Baby's Bliss gripe water. I think it works better than the Mylicon and she loves the taste. Try looking for it at your local health food store. If they don't have it, they'll probably be able to order it. They also have it at babycenter.com.

Cutting out certain foods should also help. My daughter has tummy issues when I eat broccoli, chocolate (I know, poor me), beans, high fiber fruits like apricots and prunes, and cheese. Now that she's on solids, she's still sensitive to a lot of foods. In fact, we're dealing with trying to figure out what she can have. Poor baby always seems to have an upset tummy.

When she has an upset stomach and we're waiting for the gripe water or Mylicon to work its magic, she likes to be held on her tummy: I lay her body across my forearms so that her legs are on either side of one arm and her head is supported by the crook of my elbow on the other.

When she was younger the following carry also helped when I had to hold her while trying to get stuff done around the house: I would have her head on the crook of one arm and lay her body along the same forearm. I could support my arm with my hip. My cousin, who had an extremely colicky baby taught me that hold.

I also used a fabric carrier, which she loved. She lived in that thing throughout her first couple of months.
BloomOn40
by on Jun. 10, 2007 at 2:40 PM
The colic "hold" worked wonders for us on top of the gripe water and the mylicon drops (I'd alternate).  Hold baby like a football by placing her head up by your elbow and hand on her tummy.  I think it's the pressure that helps.  I'd hold in a pacifier with the other hand.  I also found that swaddling the tummy area and "shushing" over and over helped a lot.  A sound machine with ocean sounds is really helpful too.
sweetspice03
by Member on Jun. 10, 2007 at 3:40 PM
Try peppermint tea (Celestial Seasonings is my favorite).  Make a full cup, then put 1 ounce in a bottle with 1 ounce water to dilute it.  My mom did this for me and my sister, and I did it for my kids. Even our doctor said it's fine to do.  If you don't want to use a bottle, you can use a dropper to give the tea to him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)