Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Fenugreek

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 9:27 PM
  • 6 Replies

Anyone use or have any experience with Fenugreek?

by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lovesturtles
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 9:58 PM
I used it.  I got better supply increases from marshmallow root, but that might not be true for everybody.

It makes you smell like maple syrup and your baby will smell like maple syrup also.
Mom2JandJ
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 10:46 PM
When my son was sick I had to take it due a supply drop. I took 3 pills twice a day and it WORKED WONDERS. I will also tell you that I NEVER smelled like maple syrup and neither did my son, that is just a myth.

Also, drink A TON of water all day as much as you can. You have to really stay hydrated to keep your supply up. Another thing is to eat oatmeal. I ate 2 pks of instant for breakfast, drank water ALL DAY long and did the fenugreek and my supply was BOOMING within a couple days.

Good luck!!
Stacy :-)
Eviesmommy
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 11:05 PM
I haven't used the fenugreek by itself, but I do drink the mother's milk tea at least once or twice a day. I know it has fenugreek in it along with a few other things. It has worked well for me, where I was having problems pumping enough for my daughter to have while I'm at work, now I have no problems at all. It isn't the best tasting tea, but it's drinkable, it's not awful. Adding honey to it helps the flavor. I do have a friend who uses fenugreek and says it works quite well. She also said that she doesn't have the maple syrup smell either.
TatumsMom
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 11:34 PM
I used Fenugreek in tea form and it worked for me (3-4 cups per day). Not the best tasting. I never used the pill form, so that might be the way to go, as I definitely smelled like maple syrup. My husband laughed at the response claiming that it is a myth. It made him want breakfast every-time he was around me. Every woman is different though. If I needed to take it again, I would definitely take it in pill form to avoid the syrupy smell.

My doctor also prescribed a med called Reglan. It is a drug used to increase contractions of the stomach and small intestine, however it has been known to increase the milk supply as well. Prolonged use could lead to depression, I was only on it for 10 days and my milk supply doubled.  Definitely more successful than the tea. It might be worth a call to your doc.

Good luck.
ltnbrn
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 8:10 PM
Thanks for all the input. I've read about the Reglan, but I don't need anything that drastic. I just want to boost my supply to be able to pump more fmilk for the times I need/want to be away. I also noticed that I don't drink enough water throughout the day (who has time between feeding and entertaining my 4-mo-old and cleaning while she naps!). The past couple of days I've tried to stay better hydrated, and it does seem to be a bit better.

Thank again!
Cangel14
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 8:15 PM
I use Fenugreek and it's worked well for me... my only complaint is that I smell like maple syrup, lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)