Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What is going on? My son is...

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 1:28 PM
  • 5 Replies
not taking my milk. Yesterday he went from 6 am to 3 pm with only drinking 3 ounces from a bottle. He usually takes 6-7 every 3-4 hours. Today I tried giving him some breastmilk from a sippy cup (weird, i know but he LOVES his cup so I thought he might take it) He made a nasty face and wouldn't take it. But he would take his cup with juice/water in it. I don't know if it is teething, or is my milk tastes funny because of something I ate or if he just wants real food (which he also loves!) Any suggestions? If he just wants real food, is it ok to give him what he wants? He is 7 months old. Thanks!

Kim
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
klwright
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 1:41 PM
klwright
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 1:43 PM
all needed nutritional value comes from breastmilk or formula in the first year, not baby food.
caitandcarasmom
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 2:46 PM
You can give him baby food too. My daughter is almost 8 months and she gets 2 1/2 jars of baby food each day (5 servings of fruits & veggies) in addition to breastfeeding before or after every meal. There are some days in which she doesn't nurse very much each time and others when she goes to town! I've asked my pediatrician and this is pretty normal as she is developing a true appetite. She said that as long as she eating and does get some breastmilk every day, that she should be fine. My daughter goes to town in the morning when she wakes up and then once in the afternoon and before bed. Doctor said that was great! So, I wouldn't worry too much. Oh...I forgot to mention this too...sometimes, if you are giving baby food and your child isn't drinking much, to use it to mix up his cereal and then, to try to nurse later in the day, as he is winding down. I don't mean to contradict what was said above, but I believe that babies get nutrition from baby good too, research shows...
LBSLOTT
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 3:00 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless it starts to be an everyday thing for a couple weeks. 

My 5 mo. daughter has GERD (acid reflux) for about 2 mos. now and before I got her medicine, she did this.  Didn't want to eat and sometimes wouldn't hardly eat all day.  She didn't loose any weight, but didn't gain hardly any either.  As long as they're not loosing weight, they usually know what they need to eat.  But now that my daughter is on medicine for the GERD, she eats a little better.  Now she'll eat more often, but not a full feeding.  It's frustrating I KNOW!  But there's a lot a causes for striking.  Do you have the book, "what to expect the first year" or something like that?  It has a section on striking and there's at least a dozen reasons why it could be.  May want to check it out.
sprime
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 4:32 PM

it sounds like he is trying to exert some control over his life.  He is at the right age to realize he can control some things.  Also, he may think he's done.  My aunt's youngest stopped nursing at 7 months.  He just decided he was finished. I presume she then found ways to add formula into his diet. You can add it to anything... baby cereal, jarred foods, meatloaf... just kidding on the meatloaf. If kiddo presists for more than three days, call his nurse and see what she thinks.  Sometimes their appetites fluctuate and he won't eat much for a couple of days, then he'll seem to pig out for a few days or go back to his regularly scheduled programming.

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN