Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need Breast feeding help PLEASE

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 5:59 PM
  • 16 Replies
My son is three weeks old today. He falls asleep quickly at the breast and wont' wake up. This means he is hungry almost every hour. I have finally just given up on the breast feeding and started pumping. Here's the problem: I can only get about 3 oz every two hours. I have tried to pump more frequently but it just warrants a smaller amount. I have to supplement with formula because I cannot produce enough. I still try to get him to feed from my breast before each feeding but it's quickly off to dreamland. I have called the lactation consultant but she just tells me to keep trying. When Christopher doesn't get a good feeding he is a pill to deal with when he's hungry again.

What can I do to increase my supply so I can feed him more breast milk and less formula. At this point, I won't be able to have any saved up for when I go back to work in six weeks.

I feel guilty because I have given up on the physical aspexc of it.

Someone HELP!
by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deanna80465
by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 6:07 PM
Is your son gaining weight?
I had the same problem with my son, he would fall asleep withing 2 minutes of nursing!  I was feeding him very often and would just stare at the clock to see how long he would eat!  At his 2 week check he had gained 2 pounds so I stopped worrying so much.   Eventually he started nursing for more than 2 minutes and began going longer between meals.  Dont give up on the BF, if he is gaining weight he is eating enough.  Rest when you can!  Good luck.
mattzachattack
by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 6:10 PM
With My first son I had the Same problem, and after awhile the pump completely stopped working all together on me. I started to eat a bowl of oatmeal in the morning, which was no fun that it being in the summer and I lived in a desert at the time. But tht seemed to make my milk at little thicker and richer for my son. I also played with his feet so he would continue to nurse while asleep. After he was six weeks old he started to stay awake for longer periods while nursing. I don't know what kind of pump your using, but I wish someone told me the first time around that certain electric pumps do more damage than good. By Damage I mean less milk supply and making you feel like a bad mom. I you are planning on having more children than you might want to invest into a medela breast pump. I have one that is a hand pump and I love it. I'm not having anymore children so I didn't want to go and pay alot for a pump. I also have more time to pump and save milk than you do also. But with this pump I can pump for 20 mins and get 5oz. And I have two nursing off me so at time I'm surprise that I get anything.
myry
by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 6:10 PM

The more you nurse the more milk you will produce.   If you need to nurse every hour then you will have to until your body  meets the demand of your baby and starts producing more milk.  Pumping does not provide the stimulation that nursing does.    It takes patience, hang in there.  

jessnoske
by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 6:32 PM
It is hard to pump and babies do a much better job of getting milk out than a pump ever will. So if you want to increase your milk keep putting him to the breast. Since he keeps falling asleep try getting him really awake. I would change Olivia's diaper or clothes just to irritate her enough to stay up for feedings. Just do little things to keep him up.
ashley8406
by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 6:33 PM
whoa hold on for a sec before you start supplementing formula... Isn't 3oz every two hours a good amount???  That is about what I would get  ... remember that babies are better at getting milk out than any pump so I would keep him at the breast... my son would fall asleep too try the following
1. singing to him to keep him awake
2. undressing him down to his diaper so he is not too warm
3. rubbing his cheek to keep him nursing.  I would seriously just have to wake my son up and put him back on the breast and my son would feel up after just 10 minutes so maybe hes getting what he needs

RElax and trust your body
dragonfly06
by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 6:37 PM
when he starts to doze, try tickling his ear/side of face, talk to him, make some noise, anything to wake him again. i don't recommend supplementing because you will end up decreasing your supply plus it's easier for him to suck on an artificial nipple than on yours. good luck.
TuckersMama
by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 6:44 PM
Hi,
You can go to your local La Leche League.  They usually offer more support than the lactation consultant.  I heard that almonds, a little bit of beer, a really yeasty bread, and supplements from your local health food store all can help production.  For me, pumping the same time every day had the best results.  My son would always fall asleep too.  I would tickle his back, babies hate this and it keeps them awake.  Also, moving there arms and legs and tickling there face.  Good luck!
bams
by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 6:46 PM
My son does the same thing. He is almost 3mo now. I learned to just go with the flow. He may just need the comfort also and the more you give bottles the less milk you will make over time. Keep trying and it'll get easier!!! Some infants need to nurse more frequently too. Plus he may be growing through a growth spurt which would make him nurse more. As he gets older he should be less sleepy. Good Luck!
p.s. infants usually only eat a couple ounces at a time, they have tiny tummies!
angeline
by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 6:47 PM
omgosh i had the same problem.. but it turned out that my baby WAS gaining weight and alot of it maybe thats the same thing!
calzacmom
by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 7:11 PM
He may be going through a growing spurt as well. They sleep and eat a lot when they have growing spurts. I remember I loved but hated the growing spurts because they were exhausting! As long as he's gaining weight he's getting enough to work. With nursing you just have to go with the flow. Also, 3 oz every 2 hrs is a good amount. Don't give up! Nursing is hard at first and takes a lot of patience and dedication but it's sooooo worth it in the end I promise!
Ps- Try not to stress too much, that too can effect your supply.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)