Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

WHEN BABIES ATTACK! Or...how to stop biting.

Posted by   + Show Post

Making this a sticky since it's the NUMBER ONE question on this board.

Three strikes. First bite, unlatch, tell baby it hurts, resume feeding.

Second bite, repeat.

Third bite...put baby down, walk away. Feeding is OVER for at least five minutes.

When baby learns that biting means he goes hungry, he stops biting.

A couple more things to make this work: Solids are to FOLLOW nursing, always. Hungry babies nurse. Bored, stuffed babies bite. Never give solids separately or before nursing. They are dessert.

And watch your baby like a hawk for the end of active swallowing and sucking. When that happens, unlatch. Be pre-emptive.

Babies have to be taught not to bite. Hunger is a marvelous teacher.

EDITED TO ADD: Please add your tips and tricks. Questions? Please put them in a separate post so they don't get missed.

And another addition: Sometimes it's more effective to pull them in close to the breast. It smooshes their nose closed and they let go in order to breathe.

by on May. 1, 2008 at 10:55 AM
Replies (191-197):
Yupikmommy82
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Thank you for the tips! DS seems to be teething and tried that on me oncde so far, yay burst blood vessels lol (sorry if TMI)

2011CaliMom
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:08 AM

I have a question. I'm not sure that my DD is biting, but it is painful when she nurses, from latch to end. Sometimes it feels like pins in my nipple/areola. Yes, she does bite at times and I can tell when she does. So is this a pain I need to talk to a dr or lactation consultant about? Also yes she does eat solids. Also she is about to cut her 5th and 6th teeth so she will have 4 upper and 2 lower. It wasn't until the day she cut her first 2 uppers that this pain began. We are continuing on with nursing, but I sure would love to enjoy it again. Please help!

FebPenguins
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Quoting Mom71307:

I have both heard this and tried it.  However, it did not work for my daughter.  She is a stubborn little thing and we had to flick her cheek as the "third" strike to get her to stop.  This method took 3 days, and not with her 7 teeth, she doesn't even bite at other times!  We simply warn her before she bites and she moves her mouth away and does not bite.  If she did bite, she would get flicked!  WE USED THIS AS A LAST RESORT WHEN NOTHING ELSE WORKED.  SO, IF NOTHING ELSE WORKS, FLICKING THE CHEEK DOES...NOT HARD ENOUGH TO REALLY HURT BUT BOY DOES IT GET ATTENTION!!!!!!
Quoting Crazyscasey:

I've tried those techniques with my daughter and they don't work. She's my fourth baby that I'm breastfeeding, and she's 8 months old. She only gets one jar of baby food a week, and she refuses a bottle, so it gets frustrating. I talked to a lady yesterday with the la leche league, and she said to try pulling the baby real close, and it'll make them gasp almost like their suffocating, but they're not, and they'll unlatch themselves. Has anyone else heard of this?

Sounds mean, but that was what worked for us. I am liking some of the other "gentler" ways too though.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

This sounds more like thrush.

Quoting 2011CaliMom:

I have a question. I'm not sure that my DD is biting, but it is painful when she nurses, from latch to end. Sometimes it feels like pins in my nipple/areola. Yes, she does bite at times and I can tell when she does. So is this a pain I need to talk to a dr or lactation consultant about? Also yes she does eat solids. Also she is about to cut her 5th and 6th teeth so she will have 4 upper and 2 lower. It wasn't until the day she cut her first 2 uppers that this pain began. We are continuing on with nursing, but I sure would love to enjoy it again. Please help!

almondpigeon
by Amanda on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Quoting Crazyscasey:

I've tried those techniques with my daughter and they don't work. She's my fourth baby that I'm breastfeeding, and she's 8 months old. She only gets one jar of baby food a week, and she refuses a bottle, so it gets frustrating. I talked to a lady yesterday with the la leche league, and she said to try pulling the baby real close, and it'll make them gasp almost like their suffocating, but they're not, and they'll unlatch themselves. Has anyone else heard of this?

Yes.  That's what I had to do with my 4th baby.  Right before she would bite, she would smile, so I knew what was coming.  I would just smoosh her face to my boob and she unlatched immediately.  I felt horrible doing it, but I was so tired of raw nipples. She stayed in in the biting stage for months.  

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I found this very helpful. My son will be 5 months on the 15th of next month and already I can feel his two bottom teeth starting to come in. There just below the gum line and should be coming in any time now. I want to breastfeed for as long as possible but my breasts are extremely sensitive. Now I have some tricks/tips in case he decides he wants to bite.

hlzcmjzajz
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM
My dd is 8 months old & has 2 teeth. She's nipped me a couple times & telling her no has worked with that; she did bite me once, omg! That hurt! I screamed & she popped off & stared at me wide eyed; it hurt so bad I started crying & when she saw me crying she started crying too... She hasn't bitten me since thank God.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)