Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Super Nanny

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2007 at 9:30 PM
  • 33 Replies
Okay, I don't spend a lot of time watching this show but when I am home and it is on, we occasionally watch it.  I just saw the preview for the upcoming show this week.  It has to do with nursing and has mad me quite mad.  The daughter is 14 months old and nursing and the nanny says it's time to introduce a bottle.  I know I nursed my oldest daughter for 14 months and my second daughter for 26 months.  We are expecting this summer and will plan to do the same.  I just don't like the fact that they are going to influence a lot of mothers out there to wean unnecessarily.  What are your thoughts!

Jules
by on Mar. 10, 2007 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
veg4animals2006
by on Mar. 10, 2007 at 9:35 PM
You never know. She may not even feel that way personally. It may just be for promotion, forced by managers, who knows. It is upsetting that that image about breastfeeding is supported by the media.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 10, 2007 at 9:36 PM
I've watched the show. Don't like her at all. This is typical of the advice she gives.
emmysmama
by on Mar. 10, 2007 at 10:40 PM
i dont really watch the show myself either...but i have gotten quite upset each time i see the commercial for the next episode.  AAP recommends a year..LLL says 2.  It's a dang good thing ABC has Greys or I'd NEVER watch it!!
evin
by on Mar. 10, 2007 at 10:52 PM
Hell, the WHO and UNICEF recommend a minimum of 2 years.  Not just a suggestion of LLL (of course i love LLL, but they don't necessarily hold much weight with non-bf'ing moms the way the WHO and UNICEF do)

I really, really hope it's not as bad as it looks, but if Jo gives bad advice, well my letter-writin' pen is ready!  Actually, I plan on writing ABC if she gives positive advice as well.  I think it's important to reinforce the good as well.

I hope others will do the same!
Haute_Mama
by on Mar. 10, 2007 at 10:53 PM
I really don't think it's to discourage breastfeeding or even to encourage them to wean "uneccisarily". Whether you agree with it or not, a lot of mothers stop at the one year mark. My mother breastfed all nine of us and stopped right after our first birthday.
What you might think is right might not be the best thing for everyone. Keep that in mind and lay off the lady. She's helped a lot of familes and will continue to no matter how much you disagree with her.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 10, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Keep that in mind and lay off the lady. She's helped a lot of familes and will continue to no matter how much you disagree with her.

I do lay off her. I refuse to watch. Wink I don't watch anything on ABC, for that matter.
4LittleCuties
by on Mar. 10, 2007 at 11:01 PM

Quoting Haute_Mama:

I really don't think it's to discourage breastfeeding or even to encourage them to wean "uneccisarily". Whether you agree with it or not, a lot of mothers stop at the one year mark. My mother breastfed all nine of us and stopped right after our first birthday.
What you might think is right might not be the best thing for everyone. Keep that in mind and lay off the lady. She's helped a lot of familes and will continue to no matter how much you disagree with her.
I agree with you 100%. We don't know the whole story yet so let just see how it plays out. I myself stop nursing @ 1 year but thats just me. At 1 year my kids are eating wat i eat most the time and cn drink from a sippy cup. besides the fact that after 4 months they only nurse during the day since they have all slept through the night starting about 4-5months anyway. But like i said thats just me.
sprime
by on Mar. 10, 2007 at 11:58 PM
My problem with that show's statement is that she was encouraging the mother to ween from breast to bottle! Now that is upsetting. If any mother spoke to any pediatrician anywhere, they would advise to get rid of the bottle at a year and serve formula from a cup. Never to switch to a bottle at over a year! That is OBSURD!

I'm surprised no one else has picked up and commented on that yet...
evin
by on Mar. 11, 2007 at 12:03 AM
I think you've hit the nail on the head.  That's one of the reasons I'm wondering what the show's going to say.  And as far as one-year-weaning, I've no issue with that.  I think what's disturbing is the assumption that anything beyond that is abnormal and needs to be "fixed."  If the mom WANTS to wean, that's one thing.  Telling her that she NEEDS to is quite another.
kkblade
by on Mar. 11, 2007 at 12:59 AM

Quoting sprime:

My problem with that show's statement is that she was encouraging the mother to ween from breast to bottle! Now that is upsetting. If any mother spoke to any pediatrician anywhere, they would advise to get rid of the bottle at a year and serve formula from a cup. Never to switch to a bottle at over a year! That is OBSURD!

I'm surprised no one else has picked up and commented on that yet...
This was my thought exactly!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)