Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

wanting a drink of alcohol

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 11:50 AM
  • 13 Replies
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not an alcoholic or anything, but it has been a looong time since i've had a drink.  This is the first child that i have BF this long.  I do have some pumped milk stored up...now what i was wondering is if i had a drink, how long after is that out of my system where it would be ok to pump or nurse my dd....any help is greatly appreciated! thanks
Jessi
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
got2stnd
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 11:52 AM
my doctor told me that one drink would be fine.. just drink a glass of water afterward and wait 2 hours before nursing.. its such a miniscule amount that is stored in your breastmilk that she/he should be fine
BETSRN
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 1:37 PM
Your body will take care of one drink. Just have it after she nurses. kellymom.com has an excellent article on alcohol use and breastfeeding.

Betsy RNC, IBCLC
LDRP nurse and Board Certified Lactation Consultant
Connecticut
NorthernLady
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 1:41 PM
Go ahead and have your drink.  Many imported beers are pretty good for your milk supply as well (something about the brewer's yeast...) if you're into the brewskies, and a glass of wine has been shown to relax a mom and help with let-down. 
smittymoma
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Quoting NorthernLady:

Go ahead and have your drink.  Many imported beers are pretty good for your milk supply as well (something about the brewer's yeast...) if you're into the brewskies, and a glass of wine has been shown to relax a mom and help with let-down. 
This is what my Dr. told me and a couple different nurses at the hospital. They said I could drink 1 or 2 glasses of wine or a beer and not have to "pump & dump" and that it won't harm the baby. But if you are wanting to drink more than that and get hammered, then you need to pump & dump until you stop feeling the effects of the alcohol and drink some water.

Courtney

http://www.WorkatHomeUnited.com/SmithCourtney

corysmommy
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 1:48 PM
i was told that if i drank right after i nurse, and if i have more than two mixed drinks to wait 3-6 hours or until I stopped feeling tipsy.by then it'll be out of the bloodstream...

my son is 40 days old and ive gone out 3 times and had a drink or two..after the first time i went out with my girlfriends i was paranoid i gave him a bottle for his night (3am) feeding...

but if in doubt pump and dump...

it was hard for me to dump out 4 oz of milk when i did it, but i knew it was to soon after i drank to feed him so i gave him a stored bottle.
tess-n-co
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 1:49 PM
my goodness woman! have a drink.  you're little one will be fine, you've got milk stored. live a little and have yourself a good time.

:o)
PinkyBoicourt
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 1:54 PM
I usually have one drink a night, (no I'm not a alcoholic, I heard that Heinekin helps with milk supply), and I have no probems with my son getting "drunk" or whatever. If I plan on having more than one drink, I definately wait until I know he won't need to eat for a couple of hours.

SexyJessi
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 8:55 AM

Thanks girls for all your support, its good to hear from many that its fine to have a drink.  All of you have been alot of help. I I love this group!!!

keirasmommy1
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 9:10 AM
you don't need to pump and dump.  Alcohol does not stay in breast-milk.  If you have a couple of drinks and don't breastfeed for about 2-3 hours the alcohol will be out of you milk supply.  So don't just dump your milk for no reason.  And if you have some milk stored it even better to feed them that and then just pump at a later time.  I do out drinking about once a month now and I have never had a problem and my little one has never had a problem.  It gets better once they sleep through the night because you can wait till they go to sleep for the night and then drink and when they wake up in the morning you wont have a problem with your milk.  The only thing you should worry about is making sure for every alcoholic beverage you have you drink a glass of water also so you don't become dehydrated
Haute_Mama
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Quoting SexyJessi:

Thanks girls for all your support, its good to hear from many that its fine to have a drink.  All of you have been alot of help. I I love this group!!!

OMG, She's beautiful!!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN