Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

what was there before formula?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 3:53 PM
  • 23 Replies
I know some women can't breastfeed or don't want to, but what did they do before there was formula?
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
t8aulait
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 3:54 PM
wet nurses....actually it was quite "in" for a while to have someone else nurse your child....strange, huh?
Nikidu
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 3:55 PM
I know about wet nurses, of course, and watered down goat's milk (baby dosen't react as badly as with cow's milk for some reason).
Leahk
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 3:56 PM
BOOBS!!! They've been around as long as us!

The above statment is quite useful I was wondering about that like if a woman could not nurse, well at least the child got what they needed!!!
momma2libby
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 3:56 PM

If they didn't  have a wet nurse they fed their babies some kind of gruel mix. The infant mortality rate was very high when mother's milk was withheld or  unavailabe to the baby. It's pretty sad :(

DanishDoll
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 4:00 PM
I think there were less people that "couldn't" nurse.  And those who truly could not used wet nurses. But I have to ask, if 99% of moms in Sweden breastfeed their children, how come only 30% of American moms do? 
mom0f2swtgrls
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 4:01 PM
the death toll was higher.  My mother in law bought breastmilk from another woman because they didn't have formula in Russia when my hubby was born.

Lacey, married, SAHM of 2 girls
mom0f2swtgrls
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Quoting DanishDoll:

I think there were less people that "couldn't" nurse. And those who truly could not used wet nurses. But I have to ask, if 99% of moms in Sweden breastfeed their children, how come only 30% of American moms do?
because too many americans are lazy and we have too much else readily available to us.

Lacey, married, SAHM of 2 girls
CarterLanesMom
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Quoting DanishDoll:

I think there were less people that "couldn't" nurse. And those who truly could not used wet nurses. But I have to ask, if 99% of moms in Sweden breastfeed their children, how come only 30% of American moms do?
Im not saying this to get into a debate with anyone- but I think a lot of Americans just dont try. Yes, there are a lot of Moms who try and it doesnt work out...but I think when there are NO options you somehow make it work, you perservere.

I think a lot of Moms dont breastfeed by choice in America and you know, honestly, when I was pregnant with my first I thought breastfeeding sounded creepy and NO way was I going to do it. My husband begged me telling me it was healthier and blah blah blah, and NOW im so glad I did and am a HUGE advocate for breastfeeding. A lot of my friends "tried" but gave up after a few days--- I also think hospitals are to blame as a lot of them dont really help you- Yes, some do, but a lot of them around here my friends have questions and no one to help :( Thank god for good lactation consultants!!!

-Kristina-

Mommy to Carter (4.29.04) and Lane (10.02.06)

butterflynessa
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 4:17 PM

When I was born they gave a sheet to my mom saying that evaporated milk was cheap alternative to formula. I asked my mom about it and she said she and her sister were given evaporated milk when they were babies.... I guess its mixed with water and karo syrup. I cant imagine babies getting what they needed from that !
MyspaceKitKat
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Quoting CarterLanesMom:

Quoting DanishDoll:

Im not saying this to get into a debate with anyone- but I think a lot of Americans just dont try. Yes, there are a lot of Moms who try and it doesnt work out...but I think when there are NO options you somehow make it work, you perservere.

I think a lot of Moms dont breastfeed by choice in America and you know, honestly, when I was pregnant with my first I thought breastfeeding sounded creepy and NO way was I going to do it. My husband begged me telling me it was healthier and blah blah blah, and NOW im so glad I did and am a HUGE advocate for breastfeeding. A lot of my friends "tried" but gave up after a few days--- I also think hospitals are to blame as a lot of them dont really help you- Yes, some do, but a lot of them around here my friends have questions and no one to help :( Thank god for good lactation consultants!!!

-Kristina-

Mommy to Carter (4.29.04) and Lane (10.02.06)

I agree with you.  I think not only do so few women even attempt it, but a lot "try" and then give up too quickly.  "ouch, it hurts" "I want my boobs to myself" "I can just prop a bottle up to feed him/her".   I've seen a lot of mom's do this.  I have a friend who was defending herself for quitting nursing.  *i'm not gonna judge, but I sure have my own opinion...* and anyway, she was like "well, I nursed for a week so she got all the good stuff anyway".  I had to try not to laugh.  Idk...they try to justify quitting by saying things like that bc truly they know breast is best.

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN