Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what was there before formula?

Posted by   + Show Post
I know some women can't breastfeed or don't want to, but what did they do before there was formula?
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 3:53 PM
Replies (21-23):
Melodys_Song
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 11:20 AM
I'm not here to cause a problem.But some of you have said it's cause America is lazy or they just don't try.Or some just give up cause they can't handle it ..Or think it's gross.

Well I didn't breast feed and I don't think my kids turned out any different they are very healthy and happy.But let me tell you why I chose not to breast feed..

As a child I was sexualy abused.And I could not get the image of sticking my child to my breast and it  not being being sexual..Yes I know deep in my heart that it wasn't ..But it is something I couldn't over come..And if that meant that my child had to have formula then so be it..I know that it wasn't gonna hurt my child to be breastfeed cause it was the natural thing to do.But I was afraid it would hurt my bond with them..

I coudln't stand the thought of me having the feeling of sexual abuse everytime I had to feed my child..I  also have never bathed with my children or gotten naked in front of my children.It is just something I don't feel for me is right..Maybe I'm crazy....It is something I hope one day to over come.But Sexual abuse and mental abuse are very hard to over come..And I know their our ohter women out their that choose not to Breast feed for the same reason as me..

When I see other women breast feed I think it is wonderful ...Nothing bad comes to mind.I think if you can do it ..Do it.I want to teach my daughter that it is ok and good for a mother and her child..But for me I just couldn't do it.I haven't had to tell my children about this and wish I never would.But when the time comes and they ask why I didn't Breastfeed I will tell them the truth.And tell them breastfeeding is good..And let them choose...

And I don't believe that makes me lazy or that I done the wrong thing.I think I made the best choice for me and my children..Thanks for listening ..Your friend Melody

Oh and before anyone says anything...I'm not in anyway shape or form saying Breast Feeding is Sexual Abuse..I'm saying for me it brought up to many painful memories....It was a sexual thing in my mind and my mind only!!!!!
emj92606
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Quoting Kerrywm:

Quoting butterflynessa:

When I was born they gave a sheet to my mom saying that evaporated milk was cheap alternative to formula. I asked my mom about it and she said she and her sister were given evaporated milk when they were babies.... I guess its mixed with water and karo syrup. I cant imagine babies getting what they needed from that !

This is exactly what my sister and I were fed.  By the time my brother was born, he was given formula.  I dont know if it was more readily available by the time he was around or what.  My parents were very young and had little money so I am not sure if that is what did it.  I asked my mom why she didnt nurse me and she siad she was not ready for me..  I was 6 weeks early and she was a teenager, so I am sure I just scared the bejeebies out of her being early.

My mom also did this when she couldnt afford formula, and myslef and my brother turned out just peachy! lol...by the time my younger brother came around (we are 12 years apart) formula was available and not quite as expensive as it used to be!
quinnbee21
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 11:21 AM
Wet nurses
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)