Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

my 3 week old DD keeps getting constipated HELP!!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 6:37 PM
  • 12 Replies
So I exclusively bf its my first shot at it and I LOVE IT!!! most amazing thing ever but unless Im drinking obcene amounts of juice 3-5 cups a day she gets all plugged up....but then I think I over compensate trying to help her out she gets really gassy etc. and then she ends up with diarrhea......what should I be eating? I stay away from salt, greasy foods, anything spicy etc.  PLEASE any tips would be great

And just as a side note she seems really really gassy alot too where she just toots pretty constantly and its loud(I totally dont care just curious about it)  I dont remember my other 3 kids being so gassy but they were on formula maybe its a BF thing maybe its just her system what do you think
Thanks!!!
Crystal
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissR_E
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 6:52 PM

From what I know after breastfeeding 4 babies, bf babies usually go alot (poop) and sometimes the stools are very loose like diarreha (word??) as far as juice, I didn't drink it as much I felt that when I drank or ate food with alot of sugar my baby's stool would become a little more solid that usual. I would suggest water and alot of green veggies and fiber. Oh also if your still taking your prenatals, some docs don't tell women, but if your vitamins are high in iron definately increase your water consumption. If there are high levels in your breast milk it could cause constipation in your baby. Hope your little one feels better.

MamaMcGovern
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 6:53 PM
Have you tried gas drops?? the stuff is called Mylicon. you can also get the off brand of the gas drops its alot cheaper and you get more for your money you can find it where you get tums and gas-x stuff at the store.
MissR_E
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 6:55 PM
Yes, my little ones were VERY gassy. I think its their new tummies learning how to digest different foods.
NewMommi07
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 6:56 PM
if your baby gets real constipated(sp?) you can pump and put a bout half a tspn of karo in a bottle... thats what my doctor told me and it really helps.  You get karo in the syrup isle, the clear kind.  About what to eat I have no idea, I eat whatever and it doesnt seem to effect my baby.

~*Autumn*~

earthymomma313
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 8:46 PM
when you say constipated do you mean she just isn't pooping or its coming out hard?? it's normal for breastfed babies not to poop everyday...they can even go several days without pooping b/c breastmilk is about 98% digestable...you only need to worry if it is coming out hard little pellets and then you should probably call the doctor b/c breastfed babies really don't get constipated normally...make sure you are getting lots of water...at least half your weight in ounces of water...as far as the gas thats normal my baby is the same way!!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" -Mahatma Ghandi
patnic
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 9:18 PM
I just wanted to let you know that my 4month old poops every 4 or 5 days and has stinky gas everyday.  I've heard it is just fine for b/f babies.
mommareed
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 9:26 PM

well you and I are in the same boat lol..I have a 3 week old son and he to is also constipated (if he doesnt poop for a couple days it is really hard and dry poop, plus he is seriously fussy) the only thing I can reccomend since you already cut out dairy is glyicerine suppositories ( only when really needed)

Coleen
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 9:31 PM
I am having the same problem with my 4 month old. I plan to ask the doctopr about it at his visit this week. I gave him a little juice in a cup yesterday and again today and he finally pooped. Poor little guy has a really red butt from pushing so hard.
angeldevil1087
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 9:39 PM
I strickly BF and my daughter did the same thing. The doctor said it is normal for a BF baby to only poop once a week or longer, as long as the amount of wet diapers are consistant. He said that the breast milk is absorbed so quickly that there is hardly anything to poop out. Just ask her doctor.
crissy754
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 9:38 AM
thank you so much ladies I really appreciate your help and feel much better.....Im drinking 80-120 ounces of water a day.  DDs ped said atleast 80 but I figure more cant hurt.  Its nothing like pellets or hard or anything she'll just go a day day and a half with no poop and just get really gassy and fussy.  Thanks alot again girls!!
Crystal
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)