Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

my 3 week old DD keeps getting constipated HELP!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post
So I exclusively bf its my first shot at it and I LOVE IT!!! most amazing thing ever but unless Im drinking obcene amounts of juice 3-5 cups a day she gets all plugged up....but then I think I over compensate trying to help her out she gets really gassy etc. and then she ends up with diarrhea......what should I be eating? I stay away from salt, greasy foods, anything spicy etc.  PLEASE any tips would be great

And just as a side note she seems really really gassy alot too where she just toots pretty constantly and its loud(I totally dont care just curious about it)  I dont remember my other 3 kids being so gassy but they were on formula maybe its a BF thing maybe its just her system what do you think
Thanks!!!
Crystal
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 6:37 PM
Replies (11-12):
sara-gruntlings
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 11:39 AM
Just eat a normal healthy diet, no overload of juice or whatnot.

You can avoid common allergens such as nuts, soy, dairy and common gas-causing foods such as beans, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, etc. But other than that you should just focus on eating a healthy well-balanced diet. :)

Breastmilk poop is liquidy usually, and isn't diarrhea. It's diarrhea when it's greenish (which is usually caused by the aforementioned gas-causing foods) It can also be greenish if the baby isn't getting enough hindmilk- try nursing her on one breast for a half hour or 45 minutes or until she pulls off on her own and then switch and offer her the second breast. None of the "nurse for x minutes on one side, then switch to the other" stuff.

Also, it's normal for a baby to not poop every day, it doesn't mean that they're constipated. A baby can poop three times a day, or once a week and it's normal as long as they're not in pain. Grunting, straining, and hard poop or frequent peanut-butter consistency in a breastfed baby are the indicators of constipation, not length between poops.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 2, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Quoting crissy754:

thank you so much ladies I really appreciate your help and feel much better.....Im drinking 80-120 ounces of water a day.  DDs ped said atleast 80 but I figure more cant hurt.  Its nothing like pellets or hard or anything she'll just go a day day and a half with no poop and just get really gassy and fussy.  Thanks alot again girls!!
Crystal

Then she's not constipated. Lack of poop is NOT constipation. It's normal.

THe gassiness may be a dairy sensitivity or a reaction to overactive letdown...if you have a forceful letdown she'll be swallowing lots of air. A position change that puts her more over the breast allows her to gulp less. (kellymom.com has info on nursing uphill.)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)