Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

ouch....teeth!!!

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2007 at 11:14 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 6 mo. old has gotten 2 teeth, and the other day while nursing, he it me--Needless to say, I jumped, and have only nursed him once since. I've been pumping more. Any suggestions about nursing and not getting bit?

Thanks!!!Kiss

by on Mar. 11, 2007 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Maternalove
by on Mar. 11, 2007 at 11:46 PM
  My greatest empathy for your situation! I understand it hurts like crazy and surprises you in the worst way! My son is nine months old now and finally cutting his top teeth, but he was only FOUR months old when those two little bottom chompers came in! And he had not started solids, nor was I ever planning on giving him a bottle. So--I had to deal with getting bit every now and then. I learned how to manage it because obviously I couldn't stop nursing him at that age.
   It did hurt and surprise me; the first few times I jumped and yelped so loudly that it scared him and he would cry! I felt terrible about that! Anyway, the manner in which I dealt with being bitten from there on made a huge difference. I tried to stay calm, looked him directly in the eyes and firmly, but gently said "No. Mommy does not like being bitten," and I would take him off the breast as I said this. It worked very well and did not eliminate all future "accidental nips" instantly but not long afterward I knew he understood and stopped biting. Babies are smart and your son can absloutely be taught that biting is a no no.
   Try to understand from his perspective--he has sore, tender, teething gums and chewing on everything makes them feel better. Plus, these new teeth are like everything in his world that he is experimenting with. I am sure he would never do it on purpose so don't punish him by taking breastfeeding away out of fear. My advice to you is DON'T stop nursing him because of this incident...unless of course you were planning on weaning or switching to bottles altogether. Instead, teach him biting is not allowed and everything should go smoothly!

good luck!  ~Ashley
myjoyoverflows
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 12:37 AM
Be firm.  Tell the baby, "No." very firmly...possibly stop nursing him for a little while and give him a teether.  My daughter bit me 3 times...and it's been about 2 weeks and she hasn't done it since.  She wasn't doing it because it felt good...she was realizing that she has teeth and seemed curious as to what would happen if she bit me.  It has stopped.  Be firm, don't yell...but show him that it's not acceptable to him to be doing that...it'll get better!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 12, 2007 at 1:30 AM
Three strikes program.

First bite, unlatch, tell baby "no" and resume feeding.

Repeat on second bite.

Third bite, close up shop. Mealtime is over...and do NOT give something in place of breastfeeding!

Most babies stop biting after going through this once or twice.
Angelmom06
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 5:11 AM
 I was told by a doctor the other day to use teething pills. Before you start BF'n give him a few teething pills so his gums will feel better. He will less likely want to bite you. Not too sure if it works since my little ones teeth have not come in yet... but its worth trying right? I find the teething tablets in the natural isle in Fred Meyer's. Hope this helps you some.
Lsmom
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 2:50 PM
My baby did this too......every once in a while she still does (13 months) and I do this process over again.....and she doesnt do it for quite some time....
1st bite, I tell her no firmly
2nd bite, I take her off the breast and tell her no virmly again
3rd bite, feeding session is over.  She gets the point
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)