Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Color Poop

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 7:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
What color is poop supposed to be. I know when my son was first born he was pooping a mustard yellow but since he was about 2 months (he is now 4 months) he has been pooping green. Is this normal or is there something wrong.
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Julie777
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 7:27 PM
talk with your doc and take a soiled diaper in for them to test, same thing happened to me it turns out she has a dairy allergy I had to change my diet and now it's back to yellow.  Good luck!
MissR_E
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 7:29 PM
YUP. it certainly is in some cases. It is sooo amazing how this whole breastfeeding thing works. If you eat foods that are green, like Spinach, or Kale your baby's poop would be that color. I learned from "old school ethics" my mom. I too had that same question and when she explained it to me, at first I didn't believe her but when I did my own "test study" it worked she was absolutely right!!!
Dmimama1206
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 7:53 PM
It will be that color for awhile. Just wait until he starts eating baby food it turns and assortment of colors!
smidgie
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 7:58 PM
my girls pooped yellow/green and it was still seedy from the time they were about 2 months until they started eating a lot of solids. it was normal for us. with poop you never really know for sure what colors are "normal" because it depends a lot on what the baby eats, or what the mom eats if she is BFing.  
sara-gruntlings
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 10:44 AM
Is your baby also gassy? It could be a foremilk imbalance (rare, but happens). I solved the green poop and gas problem by letting my son nurse on a single breast until he popped off and requested the other one. He was basically getting too much foremilk.

It could also be an allergy as someone else mentioned.

Or it could be due to immature gut and lack of probiotics. Have you or the baby been on antibiotics during/after pregnancy and birth? If so, you may want to give your baby some baby jarrodophilus. You can dab a little bit of it on your nipple before a feeding once or twice a day for a week.
vvaldivia
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 1:15 PM

Quoting sara-gruntlings:

Is your baby also gassy? It could be a foremilk imbalance (rare, but happens). I solved the green poop and gas problem by letting my son nurse on a single breast until he popped off and requested the other one. He was basically getting too much foremilk.

It could also be an allergy as someone else mentioned.

Or it could be due to immature gut and lack of probiotics. Have you or the baby been on antibiotics during/after pregnancy and birth? If so, you may want to give your baby some baby jarrodophilus. You can dab a little bit of it on your nipple before a feeding once or twice a day for a week.

Well my son does fart a lot. I had to change my diet when he was 1 month old. So I no longer have any dairy products. I was on antibiotics right after I had my c-section. Is it asodophilus or jarrodophilus.
McJamie
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 1:23 PM
My 13 month old got neon green poop whenever I had hot dogs.  I think it was the extra nitrates?  Anyway I dealt with a foremilk imbalance with my second with the slimey green seedy poops.  Only nursing on one side at a time did the trick. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)