Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night Weaning...Am I doing the right thing?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 9:58 AM
  • 1 Replies

I'm new to this group but not to breastfeeding.  I bf my daughter until she was about 30 months.  She weaned herself.  Also, I was a nearly a singal parent with her.  Her father worked a night and slept all day, therefore, I was able spend day and night with her.  She slept in her own room from about 7-18 months but I always continued to bf; sometimes 3-4 times per night.  Needless to say, my marriage collapsed (for many reasons) and I continued my undivided attention; she weaned herself and never was forced to cry to sleep etc.  Now with my new son (11 months) I was hoping the have the same luck with nights and easing into weaning.  However, at this point I'm becoming resentful.  For the past few weeks he's begun crying every hour if he isn't nursing and in our bed and if he is he has to nurse constantly and stirs very easily.  We don't have another room for him (except with my daughter but I don't want her to be awaken constantly either).  I can't leave him with a sitter or he completely freaks and obviously, with his sleep patterns, I can't leave him even at night because he wakes up after 20 minutes sometimes!  Now, I'm not sure what support I'm looking for.  I'm a serious attachment parenting/bf advocate but I don't want to continue in this fashion.  I want to spend more time with my husband and daughter.  I'd love to hear from anyone who has had a similar story.  We have begun night weaning.  I breastfeed in the living room and then my husband takes him and puts him in his crib and sleeps next to him all night.  The first night went reasonably well-he woke twice and went back to sleep after just a bit of crying.  Last night however, he woke every hour and cried nearly all night.  HELP!  Am I doing the right thing?

by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 2, 2007 at 4:02 PM
Well, for *me* it wouldn't be the right thing.

But I'm not the person you have to answer to. What does the woman in the mirror have to say?

I can suggest that you pick up a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution" and givbe that a shot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)