Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

emergency supply questions and storage

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 10:31 AM
  • 6 Replies
I am to return to work in two weeks and need to build up a supply to take to the daycare and for simple emergencies.  How did you guys build your supply?  My husband suggested feeding 2 feeding of formula to pump and store that milk then follow with the next two feedings from t he breast.  I thought about pumping to empty each breast after he feeds each time, that would get at least an ounce at a feeding.  What did you guys do? 

Also, I've heard that you can combine the expression of each breast at a time, but cannot combine one expression with the next one two hours later.  Is this true?

Thanks for the help,
Jennifer
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cwolf
by Member on Jul. 2, 2007 at 10:45 AM
I am back at work in August :(  What I have been doing is pumping once a day(preferably in the moring bc that is when you supply the most) a hour and a half after his last feeding. I put this in special bm freezer bag by gerber and put it in the freezer for when I need it. Only prob is I usually only get an ounce and a half out so he will need two bags per feeding when the time comes. I also plan   to pump at work for the next day! Hope this helps.
BlueFrogMama
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 10:48 AM
I am a fan of power-pumping to build your supply. Do this one a day at the same time. Right after the baby finishes nursing, pump for ten minutes, rest for ten minutes, pump for ten minutes, rest for ten minutes, etc... for a total of four pumps. This tells your body that it needs to make more milk. You can also try taking fenugreek supplements, and drinking an extra glass or two of water per day. You may not really need to increase your production, though. Most babies do not finish both breasts at a feeding, so you can just pump fr 10 minutes or so after a feeding and see what you get.

As for storage, you can combine expressions. Just follow these rules:
Never add warm to cold. Pump a bottle and put it in the fridge. The next time you pump, put it in the fridge seperately and let it get good and cold before combining it with the first expression. It is okay to add cold to frozen. And always use the older date/time as your storage/expiration date guideline. You can save it in the fridge for 2 to 3 days, and in the freezer for three months. Milk sitting out at room temperature must be used within 4 hours.
rachelmit
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 10:54 AM
To build my supply, I always pumped as much as I could after feedings.  At first you may get only an once or two but after a while you will collect more.  Eventually, when you are pumping in place of feedings (i.e. the daycare is feeding) you will probably get 4+ ounces at a shot.  You don't need to do formula - you should be able to build a supply from the pumping after feedings.

You're not supposed to add warm milk to frozen milk because the top layer of the frozen milk will thaw and then refreeze...although I admit that I've done it plenty!  :)
Mom2Xavier
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Depends on how much of a freezer stash you're looking to have...I've left my daycare provider enough "emergency" milk for 3 feedings...I also left instructions that she has to call me before she uses it...some people don't understand the concept of "emergency" and think it's just extra in case the baby is hungry.

You can build a freezer stash without supplementing with formula.  When you return to work, you will pump each day for the next day so you shouldn't need a gazillion ounces of breastmilk in your freezer...just enough in case you have an oopsy and spill or something aweful happens and you can't get to feed your baby.

Lastly, you can mix milk that has been freshly pumped (warm) with milk that's in the fridge but I don't think mixing it with milk that's in the freezer is a good idea...it'll defrost the frozen milk and then you'll have to use it or lose it.

Breastfeeding, Baby Wearing, Co-Sleeping  = One Happy Baby!

lunoid
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 12:24 PM
As someone who used to have an oversupply and overactive letdown problem, I caution you about doing too much to increase your supply unless it truly needs increased. Too much milk can make it a lot rougher on your baby. I hate choking mine or having so much milk come out fast that she overeats and spits it right back up all over both of us.

You will be pumping before, at, and after work, so you don't need a huge supply. But your baby is more efficient than the pump, and you might have a hard time keeping up at first. As you get more used to pumping it's easier to get more milk per session.

Do you ever wake up super-full? Or wake up before the baby does? That is the perfect time to pump. I often pump only one side, or just a little from the other side too, so there is plenty of milk left in my breast to feed the baby if she wakes up as soon as I finish.

When I had an oversupply and my baby wasn't eating as much per feeding as she does now, I could up my freezer stash by pumping while dad gave baby a bottle of expressed milk. I used to always pump a few ounces more than she ate. That is not always the case now!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 2, 2007 at 3:46 PM
>> My husband suggested feeding 2 feeding of formula<

GAME SHOW HOST: Oh, sorry, Dad, wrong answer! Thanks for playing, and here's your lovely parting gift!

:-D

His advice will lead to diminised supply. Each bottle deprives your body of the make-milk signal.

>> thought about pumping to empty each breast after he feeds each time, that would get at least an ounce at a feeding.  What did you guys do? 

You could do that. What I did was pump one side while nursing on the other during the first nursing of the day every single morning.

>>I've heard that you can combine the expression of each breast at a time, but cannot combine one expression with the next one two hours later<<

Untrue. You can combine as many pumpings as you want as long as they're cooled to the same temperature.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)