Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Don't understand my low flow

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 11:28 AM
  • 6 Replies
I am wondering if I have a crappy breastpump.  This is my story:  I feed my 14 week old dd every 3 hours during the day - her first feed is at 6am and her last is at 10pm - she sleeps 8 hours (woo hoo!)  She is big, happy, has lots of pee and poo and seems satisfied after she eats.  If I pump one breast in the AM while she feeds off the other, I usually get 4 ounces.  (I'm stockpiling for a business trip I have to take in August, but that's another story).  So I'm figuring that if I feed her both sides, she's eating about 6-8 ounces on average.  However, when I pump later in the day, I only can pull 2 ounces from one breast.  This concerns me greatly - shouldn't I have an even flow throughout the day into the evening?  Or is the large flow because I sleep all night and have tons when I wake up.  Am I really normally just 2 ounces per side? 

This morning I was only able to pump 2 ounces after 8 hours of sleep!!!!!

Doesn't that seem low, or is it just my paranoia?

I want to bf for as LONG as I can - hopefully to her first birthday. 

Any ideas?
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mom2Xavier
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 11:53 AM
You produce more milk in the morning than you do as the day goes on...there's nothing wrong with your pumping output, it's perfectly normal.  Your baby is probably taking in more like 3 oz at a feeding...pumping is not an indication of supply or how much baby takes in, however, most breastfed babies take in between 2-4 oz at a feeding.

If you're almost consitently getting approx 4 oz every morning from pumping, I wouldn't be concerned unless you'll be away for weeks.  That's about 1 feeding (possibly 2 for some babies).

Breastfeeding, Baby Wearing, Co-Sleeping  = One Happy Baby!

beautifullyme
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Quoting Mom2Xavier:

You produce more milk in the morning than you do as the day goes on...there's nothing wrong with your pumping output, it's perfectly normal.  Your baby is probably taking in more like 3 oz at a feeding...pumping is not an indication of supply or how much baby takes in, however, most breastfed babies take in between 2-4 oz at a feeding.

If you're almost consitently getting approx 4 oz every morning from pumping, I wouldn't be concerned unless you'll be away for weeks.  That's about 1 feeding (possibly 2 for some babies).

o my goodness...my daughter is a tank if that 4 oz is normal for bf babies because shes only 3 months old and she guzzles down at least 6oz down...i know because of when i have to feed her pumped milk...wow hahaha

Mom2Xavier
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 12:07 PM
Breast milk is digested faster than formula so a baby will eat more often...at the breast it's virtually impossible to overfeed a breastfed baby but with a bottle, it is so common.  The milk keeps flowing so the baby keeps drinking...until they get older and can give better signals a feeding is over.  Some babies take in more than others but unless your baby is only eating 3 or 4 times a day, 6 oz is a lot.

Here's a calculator to help you:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

rachelmit
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 3:09 PM
I can always pump out much much more in the morning than the afternoon/evening.  Occassionally, in the morning, I have low output in the pump, but I wouldn't worry about it once in a while! 
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 2, 2007 at 3:32 PM
>>I feed my 14 week old dd every 3 hours during the day - her first feed is at 6am and her last is at 10pm - she sleeps 8 hours (woo hoo!)  She is big, happy, has lots of pee and poo and seems satisfied after she eats. <<

Perfect. Nothing to worry about thus far.

>>If I pump one breast in the AM while she feeds off the other, I usually get 4 ounces. <<

Good. Still normal.

>>However, when I pump later in the day, I only can pull 2 ounces from one breast.  This concerns me greatly - shouldn't I have an even flow throughout the day into the evening?<<

Nope. You're still normal. Your supply fluctuates throughout the day. Still nothing to worry about. :-D

This morning I was only able to pump 2 ounces after 8 hours of sleep!!!!!

>>Doesn't that seem low, or is it just my paranoia?<<

Just your paranoia. Pumping output NEVER EVER indicates what your supply is like.

I tell moms to expect to get two ounces, be pleasantly surprised when they get more, and not to worry if they get one ounce because what you pump has no bearing on supply.

No worries on your breastfeeding here. You're *fine.*
trepsica
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 4:00 PM
my 18 week old will easily take 6 ounces out of a bottle, but generally i think she will only eat 3 or 4 from the breast, because is it more work. now i limit her to 4 ounces from the bottle at a time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN