Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

The infamous 8 year old breastfeeding video

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 5:18 AM
  • 658 Replies
Decided to make this a sticky so it's at the top of the board and people will see it.

Opine away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxv6R9fUO74

What's YOUR opinion?
by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 5:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnyaV
by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 5:22 AM
Live and let live. The mother and child are happy. I have seen this posted so many times and I get tired of the moms screaming abuse. Abused with the health of mother's milk and mother's love huh? She's not hitting her child.
I was nursed until I was over 3 years old. I'm grateful to my mom for that.
I'm not warped by it, this child doesn't seem to be either.

I love my puzzle pirates!

Puzzle Pirates

jaycee1124
by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 8:52 AM
I think it is wonderful that she allowed her children to naturally self wean. I think it is sad that so many people, especially women and even more especially mothers, have negative feelings towards this.

Informed Parenting - http://www.cafemom.com/group/43353/ - get and share information on all parenting topics

Danielle8207
by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 9:03 AM
Really?  I couldn't even finish watching it I got so nauseous.  That is one of the worst things I've ever seen.  I think if anyone saw an 8 year old walking around with a binky and a blanky you would think, 'woah what mother would allow an 8 year old to do that'.  But because most people are so pro-breastfeeding on this group- I guess most people will support it.  I definitely don't.  So wrong.  If you let an 8 year old nurse, what is the breaking point?  When they  move to college?  Every child needs boundaries.  That's how they mature and grow.  I'm still nursing my 11 month old, but plan to go no longer then 2 years.

Yuckyy. :)
ncmom19
by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 9:14 AM
I think its disgusting. I am all for breastfeeding, I am currently nursing my 4 1/2 month old and plan to til 1-1 1/2 years but 8 is waaaay too long. There comes a time when a child is too old to suckle on mom's breast. There are other ways to comfort and nurish a child. I couldn't even watch the entire video.
pinkgemini85
by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 9:53 AM
unfortunatley I agree. I dont think it looked natural what so ever. And a lot of people that are pro bfeeding would say that its because our society is so sexualized that we cant handle something like that. And I have to say that I have always felt that I personally dont see hardly anything sexual about breasts anyway. This video made me feel uncomfortable because of the boundary issues, it makes me feel like maybe the mother is bfeeding for this long because SHE feels so much of an attatchment to it, or wants to continue for the bond with her children. But that sad fact is that when the video says that the girls poke and talk to her breast and even draw pictures of them, and get mad when she wears a bra it is clear to me that the girls view their mother as a pair of breasts, and they own her. I had mentioned in an earlier post and I will say it again that woman have worked so hard for years to be seen as a person rather than a sexual object.... this is absolutley the same thing except the children are not viewing their mother as sexual, they are viewing her has an object to recieve milk from when they dont need it. As far as child develpoment goes, I wish the video had mentioned whether or not the girls are growing up to develop their own personalities or if they too will learn to be an "object". This video was absolutley disturbing, frankly it made me feel very angry inside, and I wish that I had never watched it.

e8207:

Really? I couldn't even finish watching it I got so nauseous. That is one of the worst things I've ever seen. I think if anyone saw an 8 year old walking around with a binky and a blanky you would think, 'woah what mother would allow an 8 year old to do that'. But because most people are so pro-breastfeeding on this group- I guess most people will support it. I definitely don't. So wrong. If you let an 8 year old nurse, what is the breaking point? When they move to college? Every child needs boundaries. That's how they mature and grow. I'm still nursing my 11 month old, but plan to go no longer then 2 years.

Yuckyy. :)

marissa619
by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 10:21 AM
Seriously weird.

www.cafemom.com/group/WeightWatchersForNursingMoms

www.cafemom.com/group/sdsahm
Mom2AB
by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM
Breastmilk and Mango's huh?  Or better yet, the names the children have given their mother's breasts?

I am a huge advocate of breastfeeding and am slowly weaning my 21-month-old daughter (she is actually doing that herself).  There are times when I look at my daughter and think she is too old to nurse, but I stick with it.  

My goal was one-year or teeth...well,both have come and gone.  I have surpassed my goal and am so grateful that I was able to do so.  AB didn't take to whole milk very well nor soy.  Hence, the reason I am still breastfeeding.  

However, listening to this mother talk about breastfeeding, you can clearly tell it's no longer for the health benefits.  It's for her comfort and for "protecting her children from the real world."  I'm sorry, but the world isn't going to change for breastfeed children and rest assured there are MANY other things you can do to comfort your child! Eight years old (and several other ages for that matter) are way too old for breastfeeding!
mama2alex04
by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 11:18 AM
I just watched it and as much as I like breastfeeding my 3month old, I would never BF that long. Just too weird.

Here's a question-what if this lady had sons instead of daughters BFing that long? What would people say about that? 
amp83
by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 11:20 AM
This woman was on the Tyra show last week. The child was only 7. She said she nursed both her girls until they were 7 years. The world wide average age of weaning is 4.4 years! I did not know that. It was a very good show. I learned a lot about breastfeeding from it.
I'm sure you can youtube it or even check out tyrashow.com to see if its there.

catherinejoyce
by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 11:27 AM
i am totally for child-led weaning. we are still going at 23 months.
but i do think that at some point a mother should discourage the nursing and continue the bond in some other way.
i do not think it is wrong or abusive, but i do think that the child is not learning boundries. as parents, it is our job to teach them self control and self discipline. i feel that nursing for this long crosses those boundries that a mother should have for herself and does not help the child learn the self control that she should have at least a small grasp of at that age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN