Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Taking antibiotics while breastfeeding

Posted by   + Show Post

Help! My OB/GYN is taking forever to call me back. She prescribed me Septra yesterday and when I went to pick it up the bottle had a warning label on it not to take if you are pregnant of breastfeeding so, I asked the Pharmacist and she said it will raise the baby's bilirubin count. I called the Doctor this morning and I still haven't heard back from them. Has anyone taken Septra or any other antibiotic while breastfeeding?

Thanks.

by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 1:36 PM
Replies (11-19):
Lynette
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:35 PM
Once when I had strep a doc told me to pump and dump.  I said no!  Find a drug that will work and I'll take that!  He went and talked to a ped, came back and gave me my meds.
Lynette
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:49 PM
Here is a list of anti biotics that are approved for use durring breastfeeding.  Also make sure you pick up some acidophilus to take.  W/ taking acidophilus make sure to take it no closer than 2hr to your antibiotics.  The time I didn't take acidophilus I ended up w/ a yeast infection and Mastitus.  It didn't stop me from BF.  I got over it all still BFing

Antibiotics[contents]AmoxicillinLarotid, AmoxilApprovedBL1AztreonamAzactamApprovedBL2CefadroxilUltracef, DuricefApprovedBL1CefazolinAncef, KefzolApprovedBL1CefotaximeClaforanApprovedBL2CefoxitinMefoxinApprovedBL1CefprozilCefzilApprovedCL1CeftazidimeCeftazidime, Fortaz, TaxidimeApprovedBL1CeftriaxoneRocephinApprovedBL2Ciprofloxacin [more]CiproApprovedCL3ClindamycinCleocinApprovedBL3ErythromycinE-Mycin, Ery-tab, ERYC, IlosoneApprovedBL1
L3 early postnatalFleroxacin-Approved-NRGentamicinGaramycinApprovedCL2KanamycinKebecil, KantrexApprovedDL2MoxalactamMoxamApproved-NRNitrofurantoinMacrobidApprovedBL2OfloxacinFloxinApprovedCL2Penicillin-ApprovedBL1StreptomycinStreptomycinApprovedDL3Sulbactam-Approved-NRSulfisoxazoleGantrisin, Azo-GantrisinApprovedCL2TetracyclineAchromycin, Sumycin, TerramycinApprovedDL2TicarcillinTicarcillin, Ticar, TimentinApprovedBL1Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazoleProloprim, TrimpexApprovedCL3
Lynette
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Quoting Lynette:

Here is a list of anti biotics that are approved for use durring breastfeeding.  Also make sure you pick up some acidophilus to take.  W/ taking acidophilus make sure to take it no closer than 2hr to your antibiotics.  The time I didn't take acidophilus I ended up w/ a yeast infection and Mastitus.  It didn't stop me from BF.  I got over it all still BFing

Antibiotics[contents]AmoxicillinLarotid, AmoxilApprovedBL1AztreonamAzactamApprovedBL2CefadroxilUltracef, DuricefApprovedBL1CefazolinAncef, KefzolApprovedBL1CefotaximeClaforanApprovedBL2CefoxitinMefoxinApprovedBL1CefprozilCefzilApprovedCL1CeftazidimeCeftazidime, Fortaz, TaxidimeApprovedBL1CeftriaxoneRocephinApprovedBL2Ciprofloxacin [more]CiproApprovedCL3ClindamycinCleocinApprovedBL3ErythromycinE-Mycin, Ery-tab, ERYC, IlosoneApprovedBL1
L3 early postnatalFleroxacin-Approved-NRGentamicinGaramycinApprovedCL2KanamycinKebecil, KantrexApprovedDL2MoxalactamMoxamApproved-NRNitrofurantoinMacrobidApprovedBL2OfloxacinFloxinApprovedCL2Penicillin-ApprovedBL1StreptomycinStreptomycinApprovedDL3Sulbactam-Approved-NRSulfisoxazoleGantrisin, Azo-GantrisinApprovedCL2TetracyclineAchromycin, Sumycin, TerramycinApprovedDL2TicarcillinTicarcillin, Ticar, TimentinApprovedBL1Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazoleProloprim, TrimpexApprovedCL3
I got this list from kellymom.com
Chenelle
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 5:17 PM
Septra is not recommended to take if your infant is less than 2 months of age while nursing because of the possibility of raising bilirubin levels in the infant. It is otherwise considered "safe" while breastfeeding.  Septra is also not recommended if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant because it blocks folic acid (which is necessary in pregnancy for fetal development.)

FYI: (based on previous posts) Septra is the same as Bactrim, just different brand names for the generic Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim combination.
SydneyVioletMom
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 11:28 AM
I had to take an antibiotic in the first month of my daughter's life because I got mastitis.  There are certain classes of antibiotics that are safer than others.  For mastitis, they usually use certain drugs that are obviously safe for b/f.  I don't know about Septra, but my advice is ASK A PHARMACIST.  They have far more extensive training about how drugs work than doctors do.  Your first resource for drug questions should be them, not dr.'s because Dr.'s only prescribe things because the drug companies tell them to.  So, if the pharmacist said no, I would believe them.  Just ask for a different antibiotic, you might even want to ask the pharmacist for suggestions about what would be a better choice before you talk to your doctor.  Most doctors I know are more than glad to prescribe anything you ask for!
Jamie42683
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 12:26 PM
I have taken Amoxicilin and the doctor and pharmacist has told me it is safe while breast feeding.  But I believe in not taking anything unless you have to.
Lynette
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 12:38 PM
Thought u all might be interested in this.  Oh and a tried the garlic thing(for something other than matitis).  It was easier for me to swallow if I pressed the garlic then covered it in honey(don't chew!!!!)  I got my info from kellymom.com

Mastitis: a non-antibiotic treatment
  • Take mom's and baby's clothes off, get into bed and nurse, nurse, nurse (mastitis appears to be the body's way of telling mom to SLOW DOWN). Get as much rest as possible.
  • Between feedings, use a cold compress on the breast to help with any inflammation. Some moms use hot compresses directly before nursing, but others prefer to stick to the cold. Compresses/poultices that can be helpful:
    • Make a rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) infusion: to make an infusion, add 2-4 teaspoons of fresh or dried rosemary to a cup of boiling water. Infuse (steep) for 10 minutes, then strain.
    • Use a fenugreek seed poultice;
    • Make a dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) compress: boil about an ounce of minced dandelion root in two to three cups of water until only half the liquid remains; use compresses of the resulting brew.
  • When your baby nurses on the affected side (use that side first), massage the breast towards the nipple. Massage the breast often during feedings and between feedings to help loosen the plugged area.
  • If there is a fever, mom can take
    • Raw garlic - At least 2-3 raw cloves per day, 4-5 cloves a day if possible. Chop a clove into 5 or 6 pieces and then swallow the pieces whole like pills.

Raw garlic acts as a broad-spectrum antibiotic, without the added antibiotic side effects of the development of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria, or the development of yeast infections or thrush. The antimicrobial property in garlic, allicin, is very sensitive to heat and is destroyed when cooked. In order for it to work, it needs to be raw. Swallowing the cloves with orange juice helps with the taste for some. Allicin is also what gives garlic its pungent odor, so the deodorized garlic capsules that some companies offer are essentially useless, if they are being taken for the antimicrobial properties. However, deodorized garlic is still beneficial for its blood pressure reducing properties and for stimulating the immune system.

• Tincture of echinacea, 3-4 times/day
    • Tincture of Oregon grape root, 3-4 times a day
    • Vitamin C (3000-5000 mg/day megadose)
    • Another option: Mix a dropperful of echinacea tincture, three cloves of raw garlic and four to six ounces of carrot juice in a blender and drink the mixture every two hours.
  • A very warm shower can help - let the water just run over your breast.
  • You can also take ibuprofen, which will help with inflammation and pain.
  • If the mastitis does not improve or gets worse after using this treatment for 24-48 hours, contact your doctor - you may need antibiotic treatment.
Merykk
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 1:17 PM
Antibiotics should be safe while breastfeeding... Just make sure you take a probiotic as well.  Wiping out all the bacteria in your body will definitely make you vulnerable to thrush. I took antibiotics while I was pregnant for UTIs, and we're currently battling a nasty, resilient case of thrush.
janaelex
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 2:17 PM
i have taken augmentin and amoxil while breastfeeding. most antibiotics are safe, just make sure to ask the pharmacist.  they can recommend an alternative if the one the dr prescribed isnt one you should be taking.

feel better!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)