Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Taking antibiotics while breastfeeding

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 1:36 PM
  • 19 Replies

Help! My OB/GYN is taking forever to call me back. She prescribed me Septra yesterday and when I went to pick it up the bottle had a warning label on it not to take if you are pregnant of breastfeeding so, I asked the Pharmacist and she said it will raise the baby's bilirubin count. I called the Doctor this morning and I still haven't heard back from them. Has anyone taken Septra or any other antibiotic while breastfeeding?

Thanks.

by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PunkRockMamas
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 1:39 PM
My dad the hippie told me to try not to take anything unless I had to. I don't like the idea of putting anything in to my body that my little Cole Cole can get...
loribbi
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 1:53 PM
I've taken Zithromax a few times while pregnant & breastfeeding for sinus infections and that was just fine.

Lori
Brady91006
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 3:53 PM
I've taken the z-pack. One dr said absolutely no, and one dr said absolutey yes. What about pumping and dumping while on the meds??
EscobedobyzMom
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 3:56 PM

There are only a few antibiotics you can take and if the pharmacist said it will cause probs you need to listen they are taught and there is a book that they use. What are you taking it for? Always tell your doc you are nusing it will help lesson the time you need to worry about the clarification.
It will hurt your babies liver if you take that.
Erika

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:03 PM

I've been trying to find Septra and the closest equivalent I can find is Bactrim, which *is* safe to take. And I don't know any antibiotics that aren't safe to take.

The package inserts are NOT to be trusted because they're written by lawyers. The same ones who put the stupid warnings on everything.

Whenever you have a question about a med, take a look at kellymom.com. The site includes data from Dr. Thomas Hale's "Medications and Mother's Milk," which is the bible on the subject.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Quoting Brady91006:

I've taken the z-pack. One dr said absolutely no, and one dr said absolutey yes. What about pumping and dumping while on the meds??

No need to pump and dump on the z-pack. It's given to infants. Perfectly safe.
kkblade
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:16 PM
I took Keflex and continued nursing. I asked the doc twice if it was ok for me to take while nursing and she assured me that it was. I hope so..........!!
Lynette
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:21 PM
go to kellymom.com
it will tell u whats safe
I love that site!!!
cali4niachef
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:23 PM
if you are taking antibiotics it makes you more vulnerable for getting thrush, make sure you are taking acidophilus daily when you are on antibiotics.
Brady91006
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Brady91006:

No need to pump and dump on the z-pack. It's given to infants. Perfectly safe.
I've had to pump & dum on other meds--not the z-pack. THanks. I had a BAD stomach virus and had to p&D then!! Not fun!!! And, I feel bad throwing away 10-15 oz of breastmilk--but its sometimes necessary!! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)