Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding and baby weight.

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 10:57 AM
  • 8 Replies
I was just wondering if breastfeed babies tend to weigh more then formula fed babies.... My 10 week old son who i am only giving breastmilk wieghs 16 lbs when he is born he was 7 lbs 4 oz. I have been getting alot of grief from family and friends about him looking over weight compared to other babies his age.  I think he looks healthy and happy. Do any other breastfeeding mothers have advice or experiences with there breastfed baby and the size compared to formula fed babies.  What can i say to people to get them off my back.  I know my baby is healthy! Is there such a thing as an over wieght infant? 
by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bookpixie
by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 11:09 AM
Your baby is doing great!  I also have a "healthy" totally breastfead baby right now.  He was 9lbs 3.7 oz at birth and right now at 4 months old he's a pretty big 20 lbs.
As long as your Dr. is good with your baby's size, that's all that matters.  All babies are different, so you're family shouldn't be comparing anyway.  If they keep bugging you, just tell them that your Dr. says the baby is doing great and there is nothing to worry about!  (and if they KEEP on doing it after that, tell them to back off, lol.)
Lynette
by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 11:13 AM
Here is a link to a great artical on the topic(Your Baby is fine)

http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-toomuch.html
MasonsMommy1707
by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 11:57 AM
My son is 9 weeks old and weighs exactly 14lbs.  At birth he weighed 7lbs. 10oz.  It sounds like our babies are alot alike.  If your doctor doesn't seemed concerned I wouldn't be! 

Also, how long is your baby?  If the percentiles of height and weight are near eachother it means that you're baby is porportionate.  My son now is 23 1/2 inches long.  His percentile for weight is 95% and 90% for length.  So considering the percentiles are near eachother it means he's fine. 

I would just refer to his percentiles and consider discussing it with your doctor.  I think your baby sounds perfectly healthy!

Good luck,
Jami
iheartollie
by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 12:03 PM
Story of my life sister! My son is a giant, and didn't have a bite to eat until 6 months. He is now 10 months and over 30. I don't think that breastfed babies can be overfed, as they control it themselves. THe only negative is finding clothes LOL, he wears 4T shorts as pants!! 
mrscpa
by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 12:42 PM

Yep, same problem here. My 2 month old doubled his weight in 2 months and grew 4 inches. He weighed 6 lbs 3 oz at birth and at this 2 month check up he weighed 12 lbs and 3 oz. My mother in law keeps Yell saying "shouldn't you be feeding every 4 hours instead of every 3?" and "bless his heart, isn't he getting to much to eat?"  and "we'll have to be putting him in on a diet soon." 

I really have to bite my tongue.

JeriandEric
by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Don't worry, he is fine. I have the opposite problem. My daughter is 5.5 months and only weighs a little under 13 pounds. Everyone makes comments that I'm starving her... so apparently, people will find something negative to say against all breastfed babies.

My son was 16 pounds at 8 weeks, so your's is just fine!

billynalexmom
by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Quoting JeriandEric:

Don't worry, he is fine. I have the opposite problem. My daughter is 5.5 months and only weighs a little under 13 pounds. Everyone makes comments that I'm starving her... so apparently, people will find something negative to say against all breastfed babies.

My son was 16 pounds at 8 weeks, so your's is just fine!

My son has the same problem as yours.  Babies will grow as much as they will when they will.  Actually it is easier to over feed a formula baby then a brestfeed baby.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 14, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Breastfed babies grow to the weight they're supposed to reach.

What does your PED say? If he's happy, tell them exactly that. Thank them for their concern and tell them everything is fine. And when you want advice, you'll ask for it. (That last one required a ton of moxie, but I highly recommend it!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)