Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

VBAC or c-section?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 2:49 PM
  • 3 Replies

i have a huge dilemna!!  i am due april 26 with my second baby.  for my first pregnancy, they had to induce me as i was a week past my due date and the baby was pretty big.  after dilating completely, i pushed for a couple hours and the baby never progressed down the birth canal.  i think it was because i have a small pelvis. 
the doctors now are giving me mixed messages on whether i should try for the VBAC or make things simple and schedule a c-section.  i would rather, health -wise to deliver the baby vaginally.  i don't want to be stuck in the hospital at the nurse's mercy and i hate all the meds you have to be on.  plus, there's the pain of the incision!  it makes nursing difficult and, i'm sure, taking care of a two-year-old rather hard.  i don't have family to help me at home.  my mom is out of the question, my mother-in-law is recovering from kidney failure and my husband is ultra busy at work right now.
that is where the main dilemna lies.  his boss is only willing to give him a full week off from work.  after that, he can work at home a lot of the time when he isn't down at the capitol attending to business.  (he is a lobbyist and the legislature is in session)
if i go ahead and schedule a c-section, i can plan it for a friday and that gives him extra time with me and the kids.  most of the doctors are telling me that i will probably end up with a c-section anyway.  if i could plan it, i would be happier!
i just don't know what to do!  any advice/opinions would be welcome!

by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 14, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Strictly speaking, with no outside complications, I'd go for the VBAC.

BUT...you have a lot of outside factors. (And quite frankly, I'd check the laws in your state regarding paternity leave for your husband because his employer might be violating them. Not smart for a lobbyist!)

With all the outside factors, if your husband can't push the issue for more time off...I'd go for a scheduled induction/attempted VBAC on a Friday, with the option of a c-section if necessary.

cali4niachef
by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 3:03 PM
hi!
it is very rare to have CPD. Cephalopelvic Disproportion (CPD) The most common reason for doing a cesarean section. A condition in which the baby's head is too large or the mother's birth canal is too small to allow normal labor or birth.

How is it diagnosed (CPD)?

The diagnosis of cephalopelvic disproportion is often used when labor progress is not sufficient and medical therapy such as use of oxytocin is not successful or attempted. CPD can rarely be diagnosed before labor begins even if the baby is thought to be large or the mom’s pelvis is known to be small. During labor, the baby’s head molds and the pelvis joints spread, creating more room for the baby to pass through the pelvis. Ultrasounds are used to estimate fetal size, however they are not 100% accurate in determining fetal weight. A physical examination that measures pelvic size can often be the most accurate at determining a diagnosis of CPD. If a true diagnosis of CPD cannot be made, the use of oxytocin is often administered to see if this aides in labor progression or change in fetal positioning.

Cephalopelvic disproportion is a rare occurance. According to the American College of Nurse Midwives(ACNM), CPD occurs in 1 out of 250 pregnancies. If you have been diagnosed with CPD, this does not automatically mean that you will have this problem in future deliveries. According to a study published by the American Journal of Public Health, over 65 % of women who had been diagnosed with CPD in previous pregnancies, were able to deliver vaginally in subsequent pregnancies.

read more info here
http://www.cafemom.com/group/1540/boards/read.php?post_id=39420

another reason OBs push for c-secs so much is because of convienence and control. i work at a hospital on the mother baby floor and i see it all too often. did you know OBs make an additional $6,000 - $8,000 for a c-sec? crazy huh? also they can schedule that you come in at 8am for a c-sec as opposed to coming in at 2am.

when is your EDD? it may not be too late to switch to a different OB that has a high rate of VBACs. also check out the VBAC group here on cafemom.

this article is a MUST read!
http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/cesarean_vbac/sorry-state.html

also check out this link, there is all kinds of info about VBAC's and C/S.
http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/cesarean_vbac/cesarean_vbac.html

the recovery for a vaginal birth is SO much easier. after i gave birth i was on a natural high, i was not tired in the least and i pushed for over 2 hours!

i hope that helps!

i would be glad to answer any more question if you have any!

~ Cindy
kkblade
by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 3:41 PM
You have some good advice here already. I just want to say that my hospital/OB did not support VBAC so I had a 2nd c-section. The recovery has been hell. Even now at 7 weeks pp, I am still not 100%. And I have a 19-mo old to take care of as well. Without help, I truly would not have been able to take care of both boys. Good luck to you, I know it is a hard decision.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)