Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What is he doing and Why is he doing it????

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 9:00 PM
  • 7 Replies
I was breastfeeding my 6 month old son and he kept pulling (well yanking I should really say-don't think he knows its attached to mommy!) off, looking around and then slamming back on.  After a while of that he ate a little bit and then would again yank off and cry, slam back on and repeat.  He was crying like he was frustrated and sucking like he was starving.  I thought maybe he wasn't getting anymore so I warmed up some milk I had pumped this morning and tried to feed him, but he just chewed the nipple and didn't really eat.  He was fine and happy then so I'm guessing he got enough to eat, but what on earth was the problem?  Has anyone else experienced this? 
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lonestarmom
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 9:04 PM
Sounds like teething to me. My 8 month old did that a few times when he was about that age. Sorry to say, we still don't have any teeth. You can try using a frozen washcloth or teether to numb him up a little before you latch him on.
momtocam
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 9:09 PM
I thought that might be it, thanks for a quick reply!!
Mimomof3boys
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 9:12 PM
It could be teething! Mine also did this just to be nosey and see what is going on in the world (but he did not cry!) If he is acting fine during the day I would mark it up as teething....if he gets cranky during the day it could be teething or an ear infection! Best of luck!
MaireeBrown
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 9:18 PM
My daughter does that sometimes, but she has never cried.  She pulls off, looks around and then goes back on.  I think she's playing.  She looks up and smiles at me when she pulls off, or she rolls over and looks at what's behind her, then latches back on.  She may be teething soon, but I think she's full, and then starts to play.  Also if I take her off and burp her a lot of times she will focus on eating again.  So maybe it's gas.  Good luck!
youngmamaof2
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 9:25 PM
its posssible that it is teething but if I had to guess I would say that it is gas. when he does this does he pull his legs in close to his body? see gas can often be mistaken for hunger because of the stomach cramping and so when he tries to feed he becomes more uncomfortable and more whinny. try some gas drops you can by them over the counter. they work for some not  for all but the were a godsend with my daughter, you can also try a warm bath and extra burping or a warm pack on his tummy when you feed him can work to. also a really good trick that my daughters doctor told me about when she had colic was to give a hot bath and breast feed her at the same time belive it or not it worked. well I hope that helps
Merykk
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 9:27 PM

Quoting MaireeBrown:

My daughter does that sometimes, but she has never cried. She pulls off, looks around and then goes back on. I think she's playing. She looks up and smiles at me when she pulls off, or she rolls over and looks at what's behind her, then latches back on. She may be teething soon, but I think she's full, and then starts to play. Also if I take her off and burp her a lot of times she will focus on eating again. So maybe it's gas. Good luck!
My daughter has started doing that the last couple weeks, although usually by the time she pulls off, looks around, and smiles at me, she won't take the breast again.
Brady91006
by on Mar. 15, 2007 at 9:40 PM
My 6 mo old kind of does the same thing. Lately, I've only been BF when he first wakes up, then pumping the rest of the day & giving him bottles. (Hes also eating a lot of solids). I dont mind giving him bottles, as long as he's getting breastmilk, thats whats impt.

I also think it could be teething!!!

My son bit me  a few weeks ago and now has 2 teeth!!!!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN