Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Public Feedings: babies in carriers, wraps and slings

Posted by   + Show Post
I saw that a couple moms had questions about feeding babies in carriers, namely the BabyBjorn, so this might be a helpful post for some!

I noticed with my experience that I had to drop the back support straps a bit lower in order for Gianna's mouth to meet the boob.  It did take a bit of adjusting to find the best compatible fit.  The first time I did, I did go to the bathroom to do it.  This was a mall bathroom, and there was actually a 'mother's' stall, but it was still gross, so I tried to get everything situated as quickly as possible.  I put a large receiving blanket over my babe and the carrier, and I really don't think anyone noticed. 

I was very nervous, because that was the first time I had ever breastfed anywhere outside of my home, or the homes of friends and relatives. I don't anybody realized that I was feeding her underneath that blanket!  I think this experience gave me the confidence to pump in public, because I knew I could do it discreetly.

I only have the BabyBjorn carrier, but I have seen other carriers, some made specifically for breastfeeding.  Has anyone on here used the LilaBean? I had wanted to get one, but never got around to it.  It's more of a cover than a carrier, though.  I don't know if any of the wraps (slings) would be easier, since I haven't gotten around to getting one yet. 

Anybody else have any suggestions?
by on Feb. 9, 2007 at 3:08 PM
Replies (11-14):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:50 AM
And OP a suggestion on a carrier. I love my ergo. There's not even a need for a blanket. Just put the hood up and it looks like you've got a sleeping baby. I still discreetly nurse my one year old in it.
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I still nurse my 19 month old son in our Ergo! The only time I know for sure that someone knew we were nursing was the lady the practically pressed her nose into the carrier to see my son! Boy did she turn red! Lol
MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I can't and have no interest in nursing in a sling or wrap!
I would rather hold him close! And I do keep everything covered when I nurse, but not him! I cover my own skin!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:29 AM

How did this get bumped?  It's from 2007!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)