Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I breastfeed. It doesnt cost a thing, its much healthier and I enjoy it. My cousin is prego with number 2. She is a stay at home mom. I talked to her the other day, and she was whinning about not being able to affored formula, how can i convince this dumb girl just to breastfeed then? She says her nipples are sensitive, should she just tough it out?
by on Mar. 17, 2007 at 1:20 AM
Replies (11-17):
Nissa
by on Mar. 17, 2007 at 10:15 PM
Well, it isn't something someone can really be talked in to. Breastfeeding has turned into a personal choice since the creation of the bottle. I'd say she'd have to have other reasons though, a person that was that afraid of a little pain would be way more focused on labor concerns I would think. You have already put the idea in her head, just let it sit there and fester for a while. She may just decide later on that it's an excellent idea! (and you know that her doctors are going to be mentioning it and giving her info on it as well, so you won't be at it alone!)
Proud_Mommy06
by on Mar. 17, 2007 at 10:31 PM
Can I just say that I wish I had found this website before I had my baby (not that I don't love it now)?  But when I made the decision to breastfeed nobody said "Oh thats wonderful, its so good for babies..." the good who's and why's and how's.  I got the "Omg it's so hard", "My baby never latched", "Wait until your milk comes in!" "You can't drink ya know" "My boobs hurt so bad I had to cover them up in the shower" "I cried it hurt so bad" "You won't do it for long" and blah blah blah, bad bad bad!!!!!  Well guess what, my baby is coming up on 8 months old and we're still breastfeeding strong!  Yea it was hard at first, but if you can overcome the first WEEK OR TWO... its SO worth it!!!  I'm so lazy! I can't imagine having to wash bottles, then sterilize bottles, then mix formula, then sterilize water.  Not to mention burping everey OUNCE!  I just pop out the boob and he feeds away!!  Burp once in between, once at the end... and he's happy for the next 3 or 4 hours!!  I'm not sure how relevant this is to this topic, but it just made me think about it!  Oh and now that he's getting teeth I get "wait until he bites your boob... CHOMP!"  Does it EVER end?!?!?!?!
julz777
by on Mar. 17, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Quoting deslauriers:

Quoting julz777:

Quoting babymine:

It really irritates me when people have excuses why they can't breastfeed, unless they really don't produce enough milk then they have no reason not to breastfeed!  Yes, of course it hurts at first!!  When my son was born it hurt me SOOOO bad, every single suck I wanted to cry.  But the thought to quit breastfeeding and use formula NEVER even crossed my mind, because I used common sense and knew that eventually me and my son would get the hang of it and it wouldnt hurt at all!  Every mom should know that!!  It really just irratates me when people don't even try or they give up after 6 weeks or so.  Me and my son didn't have it down perfectly for a couple of months, so I just limited my outtings so I could give him my FULL attention at feeding time so we could both learn!  It's not that hard and it's my favorite times of the day now, that special time with my son.  I have no regrets and I plan to continue until he is 18 months old.  Breastfeeding rocks!!
I totally agree!!  I hate excuses!  I think it's just being lazy.  I had a really hard time the first month I cried because it hurt so much sometime, but now it's so easy.  I don't plan on stoppin until she is at least 12 months old.  I've also lost 10 pound more then I gained when I was pregnant.  Breastfeeding does Rock!!!!!Cool

Could people really be so closed-minded? Just as we who support breastfeeding have our own opinion, so do those that do not wish to do it.  I agree it is the best choice you can make for your child, but bashing people who do not choose to do this only gives breastfeeding advocates a bad name.  And there are people who cannot breastfeed for health reasons.  Would you want a mother with AIDS breastfeeding her child?  There are many, many other reasons a person might not breastfeed.  A man cannot breastfeed.  Are you saying that when a woman passes away in childbirth and is raised by a man, who cannot (well, techinically they can but would you ask that?) breastfeed, that he is being a bad parent?  Things are never black and white.
Ok you are taking this to another level.  I understand when someone can't.  My poor sister inlaw tried for a month and her milk just wouldn't come in.  I understand that.  And don't start bringing things up like a mother passing away that's just bad karma.  We're talking about women that make excuses.  Like "oh I hear it hurts" or "ew it's gross" or "I hear my breast would be saggy after I stop"  those are excuses.  Just be honest then and say you don't want to.  I rather hear that then a lame excuse.
babymine
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Quoting deslauriers:

Quoting julz777:

Quoting babymine:

It really irritates me when people have excuses why they can't breastfeed, unless they really don't produce enough milk then they have no reason not to breastfeed!  Yes, of course it hurts at first!!  When my son was born it hurt me SOOOO bad, every single suck I wanted to cry.  But the thought to quit breastfeeding and use formula NEVER even crossed my mind, because I used common sense and knew that eventually me and my son would get the hang of it and it wouldnt hurt at all!  Every mom should know that!!  It really just irratates me when people don't even try or they give up after 6 weeks or so.  Me and my son didn't have it down perfectly for a couple of months, so I just limited my outtings so I could give him my FULL attention at feeding time so we could both learn!  It's not that hard and it's my favorite times of the day now, that special time with my son.  I have no regrets and I plan to continue until he is 18 months old.  Breastfeeding rocks!!
I totally agree!!  I hate excuses!  I think it's just being lazy.  I had a really hard time the first month I cried because it hurt so much sometime, but now it's so easy.  I don't plan on stoppin until she is at least 12 months old.  I've also lost 10 pound more then I gained when I was pregnant.  Breastfeeding does Rock!!!!!Cool

Could people really be so closed-minded? Just as we who support breastfeeding have our own opinion, so do those that do not wish to do it.  I agree it is the best choice you can make for your child, but bashing people who do not choose to do this only gives breastfeeding advocates a bad name.  And there are people who cannot breastfeed for health reasons.  Would you want a mother with AIDS breastfeeding her child?  There are many, many other reasons a person might not breastfeed.  A man cannot breastfeed.  Are you saying that when a woman passes away in childbirth and is raised by a man, who cannot (well, techinically they can but would you ask that?) breastfeed, that he is being a bad parent?  Things are never black and white.
No I am not close-minded.   I did say if they were really unable to breastfeed then it's not a bad thing not to!  But just because you don't feel like it is not a good excuse not to!  I am entitled to my opinion.
babymine
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2007 at 1:03 AM
Thank you julz777!   The lame excuse are whats irritating!  Of course if your actually unable to breastfeed then it's okay, otherwise quit bitching and do whats best for your child!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 18, 2007 at 2:44 AM

Quoting sweetmoonflower:

I had a hard time bfing my first and it only worked out for like less than a week and I was so sad. My excuse for not bfing my first longer? Simple. Every one around me didn't really want me to, I didn't have access to a phone or internet, And it was my first baby, I didn't know what was wrong or how to fix it. 
I bfed my second for about nine months and I was sad to stop. Why did I stop? Because I went back to work - stupid me thought we would be better off finacially if I went back, NOT, I had to pay for her day care, extra gas, formula when my milk dried up, and had to replace food stamps and medicaid for her. Unfortunatly by the time I payed day care I only had maybe 100 bucks if I was lucky!  I don't know what happened I was pumping all the time. I wasn't getting enough milk out.
I am now pregnant with my third and already making plans not to go to work and to bf for as long as possible. 

Yes, it hurt and my nipples got sore, but it was worth it, after the first couple of months we were like old pros, and I enjoyed it.

You don't need to wean to go back to work. Lots of moms continue to breastfeed while working.
deslauriers
by on Mar. 18, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Quoting babymine:

Thank you julz777!   The lame excuse are whats irritating!  Of course if your actually unable to breastfeed then it's okay, otherwise quit bitching and do whats best for your child!

I can understand why it is so irritating, but bottles have been around for about as long as the breast as well (the egyptians use to feed their babies milk and honey), and some mothers just have a severe adversion to breastfeeding.  If they don't enjoy it, and they really don't want to, they shouldn't feel forced to just as those who want to breastfeed shouldn't feel forced to stop doing so.  I read constantly about people not getting support breastfeeding.  I hear you, all I hear is "he's thirsty, give him water" (when the first milk is watery to satisfy thirst) and "he's just hungry, you're starving him" (when the hind milk is there to satisfy hunger).  But there are worse things you could do to your child that bottle-feed.  My mother did not breastfeed me because her nipples were too big for my mouth, but she still could have pumped if she chose to.  There I times I really wish she had.  But then I think about it and wonder if I would be willing to pump exclusively for a year or more...I had a friend who did this.  When you find out the benefits of breastfeeding, it make me feel hurt my mother did not go the extra mile for me.  But she did worse things, and I would much rather have her change those things that breastfeed. 

In no way did I mean to bash anyone's opinion, I am all for people having their own (Iol we don't have a choice in that anyway).  The world is full of different people.  But I was just trying to present the other side(s).  It surprises me that parents, who have one thing in common (their children), they cannot give one another more understanding when it comes to things like this. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)