Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help! My 3 month old still wants to nurse all the time.

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 4:28 PM
  • 13 Replies
I'm new to cafe mom.  I'm glad I discovered this because you ladies seem like a bunch of really great moms!  I need your help.  My 3 month 1 wk old wants to eat all the time.  She is gaining weight really well-averaging 2-3 lbs a month so far.  She has plenty of poos and pees, but is always on the breast.  I'm not sure if she is really hungry or is just doing this for comfort or maybe she likes taking small meals?  I know babies have growth spurts around 2, 6 wks and 3 months,  but she has always done this.  She nurses on one side actively for about 15 minutes.   Then I offer her the 2nd side after a good burp and she is usually not interested.  A typical session goes like this:  Nurses for roughly 15 minutes then dozes off on the breast.  She then wakes up 20-30 minutes later to be hungry again.  The cycle continues all day.  Sometimes I get lucky and she'll nap for 1-11/2 hour.  To put it in a nut shell, she eats every 30minutes to every 1 1/2 hour.  Thanks in advance!!!!
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Krissykins
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Are you sure she's crying because she's hungry? Have you tried giving her a pacifier to suck on? She may just want more sucking time because it's soothing to her.

Also, when she dozes off have while feeding do you wake her up to keep eating? If not, try rubbing her head or feet to wake her to finish eating. Also, with my daughter if I don't burp her thoroughally (2 to 3 good burps) she doesn't want to continue eating. Make sure she's got all the air out of her tummy so that she can put some more food in there!

You may also try putting off eating by distracting her with playing. But if she truly is hungry, feed her!

If all else fails ask your pediatrician for advice. You may just have a VERY hungry baby!

HANG IN THERE!

tinas1623
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 4:40 PM
Sounds exactly like how my daughter was. I had a lactation consultant come to my home a few times and she said to wake her up when she goes to sleep. If tickling her toes doesn't work, there is a technique (I don't remember what it's called) where you lay the baby on your lap are sit them up really fast, that usually wakes them up. It seems mean, but it doesn't hurt them. Anyways, my daughter still nursed ALL THE TIME, I just had to figure out how to make it work. If I was doing work on the computer, I had to prop her on the boppy on my lap so I could work. Get a sling, sometimes, they just want to be near their mom. She could also be using you as a pacifier. After 4 months, she calmed down, but every baby is different. Good luck!
lovemyavaandeli
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 4:48 PM
Usually in instances like this, it's because 1- they are going through a growth spurt or 2) Some babies just like to eat like that! I had that happen with my son who is now 5 months, but when he was that age he was the same way. So I called my sister, who happens to be a La Leche League leader and she explained it the best way to me that I will explain to you. Babies are like us, they may not be as big, but how many of us want to eat our 3 meals a day exactly at the same time? None I am guessing. A baby is the same way, every 2 hours on the dot they are not going to want to eat, it may be before like you are experiencing, or it may be later (for instance if they are sleeping for 5 hours during the day they are obviously not STARVING!!) If you think about most adults we aren't hungry on a schedule, we listen to what our body is saying (it ususally sounds like a tummy grumble!!!) haha but if you think she is not going to grow out of this definitly first try to give her a pacifier if you havent for sucking stimulation, but I know it is hard and boring sitting there all day feeding, but enjoy it while you can, one day she is going to be in school, then getting her license, and then moving out! ahhh I know it seems like forever away, but how time flies! Good luck!!! Keep up the good work, and dont give up on breastfeeding! Many people will tell you she is not getting full and to try formula, dont buy it!

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics                
Sovann
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 5:06 PM
Thanks for the quick responses!  She probably is using me as a pacifier.  The only problem is she just refuses the pacifier if I'm around.  Could it be that I have a picky baby?
lunoid
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 5:09 PM
is she actually eating when she's at the breast? as in swallowing frequently? My DD would stay at the breast for an hour comfort nursing some nights, but she's done eating in 15 minutes max. We use a soothie pacifier when DD needs to suck for comfort...unless i'm in the mood to be human pacifier for her.

When she was really little and jaundiced we had to wake her up to keep her eating, but now if she is falling asleep at the breast i figure she is sleepy and don't try to make her eat more. And she usually eats on just one breast per feeding.

If your DD is falling asleep at the breast, I suspect she's wanting to suck again when she wakes up, not necessarily eat. Often our DD will fall asleep with her binkie in her mouth and when she stirs needs it put back in her mouth so she can fall asleep again. Try taking your baby off the breast when she is sleepy and get her used to falling asleep without your nipple in her mouth.
Keodenver
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 5:10 PM
My daughter was like this until close to 1 yr old! She just liked me a lot, I guess! When she was around 3 months old, I got the baby bjorn carrier, and she liked walking around with me in that, and it gave my boobs a much needed break!
PandaPingers
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 5:11 PM

My baby refused a pacifer initially also.  I just had to be persistent with it.  If I was pretty certain she wasn't hungry then I would offer her the paci over and over.  When she was as young as your daughter, sometimes I just had to hold it in her mouth.  It wasn't that she didn't want it, but that she had a hard time keeping it in.  I definitely say go with the pacifer.  It saved my life at the stage you're in.  Good luck!

shaismommy2005
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 5:15 PM
i swear to you my daughter never left my breast until she was like 8 months old. its called grazing. it is very frustrating but it will eventually stop, so dont worry. my daughter was so obsessed with the boob i actually made her an airbrushed t-shirt saying i love boobies.
mommyjen1980
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 5:24 PM
My DD was like this until she was 10 months old.  She improved a little but up until she was about 12 months old, she pretty much wanted to nurse all the time.  The best thing you can do is just accept this as the way it's going to be.  My DD had a pacifier but when she wanted me, she definitley KNEW what she wanted and she would spit the passy out and cry for me.  Then if she wanted the passy, then she would refuse the breast.  My DD is just a child who knows what she wants when she wants it.  I chose child led weaning and my DD is 19 months old and she's down to once a day and when she gets boo boos.  She still has the passy.:-)

Just don't give up.  And I'll agree with what another one said in their reply.  Don't believe the ones who tell you that she's not getting full and to try formula.  It's just absolutely not true.  The first year of life, babies double and sometimes almost triple their birth weight.  Their brain activity is going all the time and working overtime.  They need nutrition to help this along.  Congratulations on giving your baby the very best start.  I hope you are able to stick with it.  If you have any other concerns, just post because this group is great and they are so non-judgemental about things.  It's just great!  I've been on some websites where the moms are a little overboard about nursing but this is just an awesome group.

~Jennifer~
Mommie to Noah~01/07/2004 and Sarah~12/10/2005 and wife to Larry~09/22/2001 

"For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord.  They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.  In those days when you pray, I will listen,.  YOU will find me when you seek me,  if you look for me in earnest." Jeremiah 29:11

got2stnd
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Quoting PandaPingers:

My baby refused a pacifer initially also.  I just had to be persistent with it.  If I was pretty certain she wasn't hungry then I would offer her the paci over and over.  When she was as young as your daughter, sometimes I just had to hold it in her mouth.  It wasn't that she didn't want it, but that she had a hard time keeping it in.  I definitely say go with the pacifer.  It saved my life at the stage you're in.  Good luck!

same here.. excellent advice!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)