Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Spitting up brown stuff!

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2007 at 10:27 PM
  • 7 Replies
Okay my daughter is 4 months old and she is exclusively breastfed.  Well 2 days ago she started spitting up dark brown stuff, like spit up only dark brown.  Well she stopped and was fine well the next day a good 24 hours later she started doing it agian only a lot more this time.  Someone told me to take her to the ER but I called the ER and they said no, just call our ped in the morning.  Well I called our ped and they got us an appointment for tomorrow and said that if she does it agian tonight to go straight to the ER.  Has anyone else expirenced this?  Does anyone know what it is?  She has been screaming a lot lately too, and she is normally the happiest baby ever.
by on Jul. 19, 2007 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Daisymae6
by on Jul. 19, 2007 at 10:29 PM
I have never heard of that. I'd be worried too. Wish i could say something more than that i hope everything is okay.

Daisy

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics 
myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics 

all-natural
by on Jul. 19, 2007 at 10:32 PM
Is it possible that your nipples are cracked and bled and maybe she swallowed some blood?
divinedimension
by on Jul. 19, 2007 at 10:35 PM
Did it look as dark as coffee grounds? If so it could be blood. I agree with the pedi, that you should take her to the ER if she does it again. Watch for fever and lethargy. If you see these things before the appt or if she does it again, go on into ER.

"Renowned East Coast Transpersonal Psychologist branches out of the textbooks and into the spiritual world, touching many people's lives along the way..." -New York Times, July 2005 Pamela Aaralyn, medical intuitive, energy reader and transpersonal counselor www.aurareader.com
MissBunny
by on Jul. 19, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Quoting all-natural:

Is it possible that your nipples are cracked and bled and maybe she swallowed some blood?

I had that problem with my daughter.(Cracked nipples and bleedind)  It scared me so bad until I figured out what it was.
momof3at23
by on Jul. 19, 2007 at 10:51 PM
My nipples are fine, no cracks what so ever.  The spit up was dark brown, almost the color of a formula fed baby's poop.  It was so gross it looked like what you find in a diaper not out of her mouth!  She had her shots yesterday so she does have a fever, I've been giving her infant tylenol for it.  Thank you ladies. 
horsewildfire
by on Jul. 20, 2007 at 12:41 AM
THATS SCARRY STUFF I WOULD GET HELP SOON IF SHE KEEPS DOING IT I HOPE SHE IS OK  KEEP US UPDATED
mandawest
by on Jul. 20, 2007 at 12:53 AM
If your nipples are intact, it could be a few different things.  1.) gastric juices are brownish-greenish, so it could be that there's an overproduction and it's coming up, or there's a slowdown in digestion 2.) blood that's partially digested looks brown 3.) sometimes there can be a backup of stool that ends up being vomitted from the mouth, 4.) I don't know about other moms, but once I ate a lot of asparagus and it actually turned my breastmilk green.
Be very watchful - make sure she's eating, peeing and pooping normally, and acting normally.  If she's usually happy and has been screaming recently, I'd venture to say that there's something off kilter in her digestive tract.
No matter what someone says on the phone, you're the mom and if you think she needs to be seen right away, then do it, it's not like they can refuse to see you. (I can't believe that an ER would say that - every ER I have been a nurse in has a strict policy about never giving medical advice over the phone, and never telling someone whether or not to come in, too much room for error.)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)