Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What is the deal with society being against breastfeeding???

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2007 at 12:10 PM
  • 5 Replies
Hey everyone.....I just wanted to vent a little, because I know you will all understand.  What is the deal with our society and a lot of people being against bf? Lots of other societies are all for breastfeeding.....people freely breastfeed EVERYWHERE and no one looks at them as if they are doing some horrible thing.....in fact, some even look at them in awe because it is such a beautiful thing.  I get so annoyed, and have these last 13.5 months that I have breastfed my daughter when onlookers gawk as if we are commiting some awful crime.  I do it very descretely, and most times dont even bf in public much......when she was little we would, but with a cover, and in a rather uncrowded area. There are those who are supportive, but it is a shame that everyone cannot just be supportive of breastfeeding mothers.  Breastfeeding can be challenging enough without dealing with pressures from people you dont even know!!  Anyway, I try not to let it bother me, but it is annoying ya know?!!  The latest comments, about "when are we going to wean competely" really get to me.....as if 13 months is sooooo old to be breastfeeding.  Why is our society so bottle driven?  That is frankly no ones business but my famillies, and why do they care anyhow??  Does anyone else get crap from others like this, and does it boil your blood like it does mine?  I really do try to just brush it off when others poke their noses into my business, but I do get a little ticked at times.....like now!!  ha ha! Anyway, I was just interested to see how many others feel this way!!
by on Mar. 18, 2007 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 18, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Remember, this is the same country that got in an uproar over a barely visible flash of Janet Jackson's nipple a few years ago.

This is the same country that has the idiotic idea that if you don't teach your children about sex, they won't have it.

This is the same country that thinks breasts only exist to sell cars and beer.

I love the USA and all the principles it was founded on. Unfortunately those principles include allowing people to stew in their own stupidity.

My answer to those who are "offended:" You don't have the right to not be offended. Indeed, you have an obligation to be offended in defense of your right to be heard. If you don't believe that, then our soldiers have laid down their lives for NOTHING.

sweetmoonflower
by on Mar. 18, 2007 at 2:35 PM
I notice bfing mothers more since I bfed in public,  it always makes me smile because I know that they are doing something wonderful. My hubby on the other hand doens't even notice. If he was to look at a bfing woman, she might think he was looking at her like what she was doing was wrong, but the truth is, He is supportive of bfing. He may just be in a bad mood, glanced that way and didn't even realize what she was doing. He told me that he doesn't even notice bfing women any more because he got so used to it with me. When I was bfing in public I had a mindset that if any one wanted to say anythign to me about it, I was ready and so was my hubby to "educate" them.  Even when we traveled, which we mostly did with his mom. We would park on the side of the gas station, trying to get a little more privacy, My hubby and I were prepared to "educate" any one who dared to try to say anything about it.  My mil said that she didn't bf because she knew she had to go back to work and didn't want to start something she couldn't finish. She fully supported me bfing my daughter.  I cried with my first bc I couldn't get it. Every one around me didn't want me to,   I still have some resentment for that.
mxs625
by on Mar. 18, 2007 at 2:40 PM
We should have a national Breastfeeding day where all BF'ng mommas go out to a very public place and feed the baby so the world can see how common and how GOOD it is. 

I think it makes people uncomfy because boobs are such a sex object and men get funny when they think about "their" boob squirting out milk.  It's a territorial thing.  haha.   My husband totally supports me BF'ng, but does act funny if he hears slurping. 

Michelle
westmoreland
by on Mar. 18, 2007 at 2:53 PM
You get alot of lip for breastfeeding, and you get alot of lip for formula feeding. I know some people are supportive of bf until your child reaches a certain age. That's where I received most of my critizism. Some people did gawk in public, but I just stare back. Alot of my family didn't understand why I couldn't just give my son a bottle, then once they realized I just ignored them, they started in on how long I was going to bf. I finally weaned my son at 21 months, but that was only b/c I'm pregnant again and due in a few months. I think most people make their remarks and their stares out of ignorance.
janaelex
by on Mar. 18, 2007 at 3:00 PM
i am still nursing my 15 month old.  society sucks.  it is society that tells us that if you arent beautiful or thin that you are nothing.  this is not true!!  i write for my local newspaper and my next story, that i am working on right now, is about breastfeeding in public.  it shouldnt be such a big deal, but for some reason, it is.  it is a beautiful, natural thing.  so dont worry about what people think.  they are ignorant.  you keep doing what you are doing with your head high knowing that you are doing what is best for you and your child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN