Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need advice

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:56 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have so many questions... I am currently breastfeeding my third child who will be 3 weeks old on Friday... my first child I breastfed for about a month... she didn't latch on very well so I ended out pumping and feeding her but that didn't last long... then with my 2nd, I decided I would breastfeed him  but give him a bottle of formula at night (to help him sleep... didn't help...) but I would pump and I was very ahead of him til his doctor told me to stop pumping and just feed him and I slowly dried up when he was about 2 months old...
ANYWAY, I am trying to exclusively breastfeed this time and REALLY want to breastfeed him a lot longer than I did my first two...  but my son just seems like he never gets full... I know that babies will feed often to get your body to make more milk but how long does that take? I feel like he just eats all the time... and is content for very short periods of time... He wets and poops enough and he is growing so I am not doubting that he is getting enough, I am just getting frustrated cuz he just wants to nurse all the time... and it takes so long to get him to go to sleep and he doesn't sleep hard like most newborns, he wakes up so easy... I start trying to feed him and get him layed down to sleep about 9pm and he doesn't finally sleep for a stretch longer than 30minutes til almost midnight, sometimes later... he usually sleeps anywhere from 3 to 4 hours which is great once I can finally get him to stay asleep... last Sunday though he was up every hour...
We are co-sleeping, it is the only way I can get him to sleep for more than 15 minutes... i tried a bassinet and he is fine for a little bit and then he starts to cry but stops right when I pick him up... he either sleeps on his side or his tummy (I know, a BIG no-no...) my only problem with the co-sleeping is that even during the day, I can't get him to lay down at all during the day...
also, i was wondering if anyone's babies have problems with stuff you eat? I keep reading on different sites, different things... one site will say to eat 5 servings of dairy to get the extra calcium and another site says that if I eat dairy, it can upset my baby's tummy? along with chocolate and brocolli??
I guess sometimes I wonder if he isn't just tired and not hungry... I know sometimes he just wants to suck to sleep and I have given him a pacifier but I don't want that to subsitute nursing... the first couple weeks seemed to be a lot easier and it wasn't til last Friday that things got this difficult... I just thought it was suppose to get easier, not harder...

thanks for reading, sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am running on little sleep here!!
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cerdwin
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 5:08 PM
Most of this sounds very normal for a 3 weeks old.
For most moms it is a wait and see sort of thing. IF the baby has a problem then you start etiminating things to determine the cause of the upset.
Just feed on demand and you should be fine. If you are really worried talk to a lactation consultant, she will be able to give you the 1 on 1 you need. Good luck and congrats!
Cerdwin

leejean
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 5:27 PM
Yes, I've heard about the dairy and chocolate, too.  My baby is 5 weeks old. and she was like that at first too.  But now I've found a few things that work.  My babies tummy was sour and boby acidic making her bum red.  After I've fed her enough at night and she still won't sleep You can put just a tiny pinch of baking soda on their tongue, then with a dropperput a drop of real apple cider vinegar in her mouth.  It fizzes up and baby makes an yuky face, but you immediately give them the breast.  They nurse for a while and then go right to sleep.  (usually for about 3-4 hours) which is nice at night.  I only do it as a last resort.  but the vinegar helps to nuetralize her stomach and gives her relief.  Kind of like alka-seltzer for adults.

You can also use Gripe water, a health food store may have it (it's dill and water).  or a catnip and fennel mixture, or just catnip will do the trick.  I just didn't have any of that so i tried  the first thing, and it has worked for me until I find what's making her upset.  Good luck.
jamienmunro
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 5:43 PM
Sounds like your little one acts just like mine to the T.This is what I do: during the day i put him in his sling and i can get things done or I lay down with him and once his out for good, I ease out of the bed and put lots of pillows around him.He's finally starting to sleep in his bassinett at night untill his next feeding. I had to give him a pacifer on our 2 night home and it was the best decision I made. He was using my breast for one, some babies love to suckle to comfort themselves.Don't be scared about nipple confusion, just give it to him when you feel it's right.When it comes to eating certin foods, I stay away from anything that has alot of acid base , like oj and strawberries.I hope this helps you.Good luck!

NewMommy311
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 5:51 PM
I cant help you on the sleeping patterns.... mainly cuz i dont remember how it was when my son was 3 weeks lol ... but about the food...i would suggest you try it yourself. Thats what i do. Just experiment, cuz all babies are different..they told me not to eat so many things, some of them i regret, and some im glad i found out my son can handle them.... thats all i can say..
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:34 PM
>>but my son just seems like he never gets full... I know that babies will feed often to get your body to make more milk but how long does that take? I feel like he just eats all the time... and is content for very short periods of time... <<

Welcome to the three week growth spurt! He's doing exactly what he's supposed to.

Your milk takes six weeks to regulate. So expect ravenous appetites for at least this long. Sounds like you're doing it all right.

>>also, i was wondering if anyone's babies have problems with stuff you eat? I keep reading on different sites, different things... one site will say to eat 5 servings of dairy to get the extra calcium and another site says that if I eat dairy, it can upset my baby's tummy? along with chocolate and brocolli?? <<

Only worry if baby seems to have problems. From your description, you're fine and have nothing to worry about.

Keep doing what you're doing.
2CuteMommy
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

>>but my son just seems like he never gets full... I know that babies will feed often to get your body to make more milk but how long does that take? I feel like he just eats all the time... and is content for very short periods of time... <<

Welcome to the three week growth spurt! He's doing exactly what he's supposed to.

Your milk takes six weeks to regulate. So expect ravenous appetites for at least this long. Sounds like you're doing it all right.

>>also, i was wondering if anyone's babies have problems with stuff you eat? I keep reading on different sites, different things... one site will say to eat 5 servings of dairy to get the extra calcium and another site says that if I eat dairy, it can upset my baby's tummy? along with chocolate and brocolli?? <<

Only worry if baby seems to have problems. From your description, you're fine and have nothing to worry about.

Keep doing what you're doing.

i gotta question..i've been pumping and giving him my milk and formula for the first 7 weeks of life..does this mean my milk hasnt regulated?? i'm barely starting to give him breast and it's been working but i dont think he gets enough sometimes because he'll start to get fussy after a while..i'll put him down and then he's hungry again..? i've seen several of your posts and you seem to know a lot..
mnmo3bb
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Update: I remember this 3 week growth spurt, it was hard to get through but we did it and made it to 23 months! I was about 12 weeks pregnant with #4 who then nursed for 2.5 years until I was 12 weeks pregnant with this baby who is due in December :) Can't wait to nurse again! 

Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

justone_jen
by Jen on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM
The three week growth spurt is torture.It was the hardest part of breastfeeding for me. Keep nursing on demand. This will pass. Hang in there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM
I updated in the reply :) this post is over five years old lol it was hard but we made it!

Quoting justone_jen:

The three week growth spurt is torture.It was the hardest part of breastfeeding for me. Keep nursing on demand. This will pass. Hang in there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol! I'm sorry! I didn't even notice the date!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)