Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Surgery while breastfeeding

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 11:22 PM
  • 7 Replies
I just found out I need to undergo a common surgery, having my wisdom teeth removed, in the next two months.  I have no choice to move it back more, they are destroying my jawbones.... but I am breastfeeding.  The oral surgeon recommended I don't just do novicane and go under general anethesia, and advised me to save breastmilk for 25 hours after the procedure and "pump and dump" during that time. 

Has anyone done this before?  Any kind of surgery, the anesthesia is the issue really not the surgery.  It is really safe after 24 hours?  Have you had problems, or any advice for me?
by on Mar. 19, 2007 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom2foxkids
by on Mar. 20, 2007 at 12:27 AM
I don't know if that makes much sense to me... I had 2 c-sections and breastfed immediatly afterward, and I think with my first I ended up getting a local to knock me out ( I was in labor for 26 hours, can't remember really, just know I was knocked out after I had a spinal) I was still able to nurse immediatly afterward.  Did you talk to your pediatritian or OB about other options maybe?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 20, 2007 at 1:04 AM
No need to pump and dump for dental work, even with a general anesthetic.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/dentalwork.html
deslauriers
by on Mar. 20, 2007 at 1:06 AM
THANK YOU
MonicaYB
by on Mar. 20, 2007 at 1:17 AM
hi there!

about 5 weeks after i had my daughter, i went to the dr. to check a lump that i had in my breast. well many visits and sonograms later, all the doctors i had seen thought it looked malignant, and felt i needed to have it removed ASAP. the Surgeon gave me the same advice you recieved, to store up pumped breastmilk, about 48 hous worth just in case, and during the 24 hour recovering period to pump and dump.

it was hard, and many family and friends even told me that i had nursed long enough, and maybe this was "god's way of telling me" that she needed to be on baby formula, but i insisted that i continue to bf, and everything worked out just fine! it was almost sad to pump a good 10 ounces, and then dump it all down the drain, but i knew it was for the best.

so, i hope this helps! be blessed!
tReS_LujAn
by on Mar. 20, 2007 at 6:01 PM
when my son was 3 weeks old I was having really bad pains in my abdomen. Everybody kept telling me "oh you just had a baby... You'll be fine" Well one night the pain was "worse then labor" lol turns out my appendix was badly infected and needed to be removed. I didn't have time to store any bm so for the 24 hours after the surgery and for 3 days post surgery(because of medications I had to take to battle some other infections) my husband had to feed my son formula :( although formula isn't bad... I felt like I was letting my son down, he was brand new still and I couldn't take care of him. But now he's 3 months and we are breastfeeding until he says it's time. just follow the rules of the doc and research a little before you go in to see what if any effects it has on bfing.
Mimomof3boys
by on Mar. 20, 2007 at 10:03 PM
I have had some major dental work done and never dumped and pumped my milk. Dental shots are fine. I also had to have my gall bladder taken out after our oldest was born and was knocked out for the surgery and I did have to dump and pump that time. I hope that helped! Best of luck with your procedure!
Kimber88
by on Mar. 20, 2007 at 10:55 PM
I had my gallbladder removed when my twins were 13 months old, still nursing, as they are today at 26 months.

I didn't pump or dump anything, the hardest part was nursing and having them in the area of my incisions. They didn't even seem to get groggy or show any effects of the meds.

I was told by my surgeon that they might get a bit sleepy for the first day following surgery. All went very well.

Kimber
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN