Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Alright 14 months and still going strong But I want to stop!!!

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 7:54 PM
  • 7 Replies
Please before hand do not send me any harsh comments because i am wanting to wean my daughter. I dont need that I just need advice on the matter. I surprised myself that I have made it this long. However my daughter will take juice from a sippy cup with a straw only not the other kinds and does not like milk she wont take anything when shes hungry she needs the boobies to go to bed. I dont know what to do. I tried to perhaps slow it down more food and tried the milk and juice water etc but she wont have it. she will not any ideas on how to have her do this. I am not one to COLD TURKEY HER OFF Thats just sad and well unnessessary I think. Please moms send me advice if you have it??
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
littlerayofsun
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 7:59 PM
When I weaned my daughter I cut out all the day feedings and only gave it to her at night if she felt she needed it bed time was the hardest part  feel you then I started to cut out them bed time feedings best of luck to you
heathermd44
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 8:44 PM
Nobody's going to knock you for wanting to wean your 14 mo. old.  You've done a tremendous job going this long.  A friend of mine from work just got her son weaned.  She mixed her breastmilk w/ regular milk in a cup.  She added a little more milk as he was drinking it more until eventually it was all milk.  She said it took 3 weeks.  I don't know if it's okay to do that, but she said it didn't hurt her son.  Worth a try.

Haute_Mama
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 8:47 PM
Don't worry mama, we're in the same boat. That's the main reason why i haven't weaned yet. My little girl won't take whole milk unless I'm at work or out running errands.

If you find any really good ideas, let me know. I'm planning on cutting my feedings down and hopefully it'll help out.

Argue all you want, breast is still best.

Mommy Gamer: and proud of it.

Mace_4
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 9:15 PM
I'm right there with you! Some ladies gave me some great advice that's working thus far. Well, here it goes. I only breastfed at night since my son has (luckily for me) taken to table foods. I give him what we eat. He doesn't like baby food, but did eat it since he was 6 months. Anyway, he doesn't like regular milk too much either, so I flavor regular milk just lightly so that he could take to it. I put it in a cup with a straw since he too, won't take to a regular sippy cup. You can however buy milk in a box. Just like the juicy juice box.
At night when he awakes for those night time feedings, I offer him water or juice instead, but has been refusing them. What he ends up doing is he lays across my stomach facing down, I gently pat his back and bottom like giving him a one-handed massage. He does cry during this moment, but doesn't last too long before he just falls asleep. I've been doing this one feeding at a time. I'm eliminating them one by one and has been working. I tried weaning a bit differently a couples months back and instead of crying (a short cry) himself to sleep, he'd scream bloody murder! So just watch her when she awakes you at night. I noticed closely, that my son isn't really hungry. He doesn't cry with tears nor has his eyes open when he's searching for the boob at night. He's only looking for comfort to go back to sleep. I hope this helped any!
Brandymamaof4
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 10:46 PM
You can try having you husband put her to sleep at night, and get up with her when she wakes. My last weaned over like 4 month period, first we started getting her to sleep though the night, and then we went to nursing only when she woke up, but she never really nursed herself to sleep, only when she woke at night. Good luck.

monicayogima
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 10:53 PM
My daughter just turned one and pulls my shirt down any chance she gets, I don't want to take it away from her but I am headed back to school and it is time. I cut out one feeding at a time. So far I was only able to cut out one feeding. They grow up too fast any way. But try cutting one at a time and try whole milk with meals. My daughter wouldn't take it at first but now she likes it.....good luck!!
AMBERNICHOLE
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 12:25 PM
Thanks for all the insight I will try these. After last night she took a bottle Avent filled with Warm Whole Milk and she fell asleep yeah im so happy i could cry. Now I have to worry about my diet is longer thanks to the breast feeding :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN