Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Cant get enough out of pump

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2007 at 10:22 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have been exclusively breastfeeding my daughter, almost 6 months old, exclusively since birth. Now, that I would like to get her on the bottle, I try pumping and only get 3 oz. I know that she gets more than that because she has been gaining weight nicely and is very healthy. I am sure that it is just my body not used to the pump. I have been pumping more (once in the morning and once at night) lately. I would like to be able to leave her with my hubby or mother for more than a few hours-occassionally- so I can have some Mommy time!

What else can I do to get more out of the pump? I have the Medela Pump in Style electric pump that I purchased brand new.

Please help! Thanks!

by on Mar. 21, 2007 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wyandemmasmama
by on Mar. 21, 2007 at 10:30 PM
It could be just cause your body is already regulated to how much your baby eats. I know that when I pump, especially recently, I usually only get about 4 oz off of each breast. I think that it's probably normal to only get around 3 oz at a time...you might just have to pump more often... hope that helps some... :)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 21, 2007 at 11:32 PM
Three ounces is normal, and is a serving size. Don't worry about filling big bottles. Leave lots of three ounce servings. :-)
dragonfly06
by on Mar. 21, 2007 at 11:37 PM
whenever i pump i only get about 3oz out of one side and about 3-5oz on the other side, and that's with a manual pump. i don't think our breasts were meant to fill two 8oz bottles. i think people forget that bf babies don't drink as much as bottle fed babies at one feeding.
tjsmomtess
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 12:00 AM
i had trouble also but i spoke to my doctor and she told me to try putting my son on first so that my body would respond to the pump as though my son were nursing. the only thing is with doing this i became engorged quicker. but it worked for the perpuse of storing my milk so his dad could bond with him too. she also told me to try pumping at night after my son was asleep for the night because that would be the time i would be the most relaxed. it worked best for me after a nice warm shower before bed. 
i hope this info helps you out!
snickers21
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 1:11 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Three ounces is normal, and is a serving size. Don't worry about filling big bottles. Leave lots of three ounce servings. :-)

I agree!  Also, pumping is a learned thing.  Your body may need time to get used to it, and also to build the extra supply.  The best time to pump is first thing in the morning (really between 1am and 5 am but WHO is up then? lol!).

Best wishes!
lulusmum
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 1:18 AM
All these are true but there are a few things I do to help things move along in there. First thing is massage your breast when pumping begins, from top down towards the nipple and do so often while pumping. It also helps me to lean forward so gravity helps a bit. Last have your baby near or a pic of him. For some reason your milk lets down easier when u see/hear him. My doc says drink H2o before and during. It seems to help. Good luck!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 22, 2007 at 1:36 AM

Quoting dragonfly06:

i don't think our breasts were meant to fill two 8oz bottles. i think people forget that bf babies don't drink as much as bottle fed babies at one feeding.

Well put!

Think of eight ounce bottles as the infant equivalent of a 64 ounce Big Gulp. Yeah, you CAN drink that much at one time.

But SHOULD you?
proudmom20000
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 2:39 PM
I am so glad you asked that question I was having the same problems.  The replies have helped me. Thank you
kema26
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Quoting dragonfly06:

whenever i pump i only get about 3oz out of one side and about 3-5oz on the other side, and that's with a manual pump. i don't think our breasts were meant to fill two 8oz bottles. i think people forget that bf babies don't drink as much as bottle fed babies at one feeding.
i completely agree... i use a manual pump also and never get "large amounts".. so usually i just pump as much as i can, freeze it and start all over again... best of luck to you
3Rdhds
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Do you have a let-down when you pump? if not, right there is the issue.  tho I agree with pp's, 3oz in a pumping session is very normal.  I think most moms just add to that 3oz during the day if they feel their babies need more (my daughter is still really fussy if I stop her at 4oz!) (meaning they combine 2 pumping sessions into one bottle).  There are guidelines to follow though for adding milk, if you're not aware.  Don't fret, tho, you're fine. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN