Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Only drinking once a day

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 12:41 PM
  • 4 Replies
A close friend of mine has an 8 month old son who recently has changed his nursing habits. He was nursing every 3 hours during the day, and then about a week and a half ago he began to refuse her, except in the morning and she would try throughout the day, but he would only nurse for a minute and then push her away. She says he will lay with her happily but gets mad when she offers a feeding. He also will not take a bottle. He does take solids, I believe the routine was about 1 hour after nursings, three times a day, and she offers him a sippy with water or juice, but he doesn't really use it much, if at all. Has anyone experienced this, and what did you do? Did the baby go back to nursing, and do they need more liquids than one feeding a day? She saw the pedi, and he said she can offer yogurt and cheese now too and didn't seem too concerned about the lack of liquids.
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jhpjsmom
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 4:22 PM
It all depends on how much your friend wants to keep nursing.  My son did this at about the same age.  I called a lactation consultant, and she said to discontinue solids for a few days.  She called it a "nursing strike".  It worked really well, but I was feeding him at least every 1 1/2 hours, so it was a lot of work.  He's 11mo now and still going strong.  It could be that she's not producing enough milk too.  Tell her to drink mother's milk tea in addition.  If she goes through with it, she'll need it to help her supply anyway.
Brady91006
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 5:46 PM
My 6 mo son is also not nursing. I'l ltry in the am, but he'd rather watch whats going on all around. He will take a botttle though. I'm pumping 4-5 times a day, so he's still getting breastmilk. I'm not sure if it has to do w/ him eating more solids or not. I think he's drinking about 24 oz and 2 jars (stage 2) & 2 bowls of cereal (1 rice & 1 oatmeal both w/ breaastmilk)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 22, 2007 at 8:22 PM
Does sound like a nursing strike. Great info on kellymom.com about them.
tysonyo
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 9:32 PM
Sounds like distractible baby to me. My daughter hit it around 7 months old, around the same time she started crawling. Took me 3 months of pressuring and coaxing, but she got back on task around 10 months. I almost gave up several times due to worry that she wasnt getting enough milk. But I stuck it out after researching it a bit. Once I realized it was a phase, I was determined to get through it, and we did.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN